Author Topic: Another Crottin  (Read 3121 times)

Spellogue

Another Crottin
« on: September 08, 2013, 02:28:17 AM »
Here is a Crottin I made 6/27/13.  I just cut into it.  2-1/2 months is about the longest I normally age a Crottin.  These cheeses tasted the same as they aged, but with increasingly pronounced intensity.  This last cheese was tasty, but strong.  It was a little cheese, so I ate most of it myself while I was making dinner tonight.  I don't think it would have been a favorite for the uninitiated, but I enjoyed it.  The texture o the pâté was quite nice.  As it was a small pyramid, the gooey layer made it near to the center and it acheived a consistency of chilled whipped cream.  There was a nugget of firmness in the middle.   There was more than a hint of bitterness, but it wasn't unpleasant.  This cheese was all about the finish.  It sticks with you offering a cheddary richness on the top and back of the palate that lingers for a good 10-15 minutes. It went better with a drier lighter red Pinot Noir than I imagine it might have with a fruit forward wine like a cab sav or a zin. 

I might switch geos next time around.  I'm finding that the geo 13 that I used this season had an odd high pitched flavor on the attack, especially with my geo only lactics.  I can only describe it as an acrid perfuminess.  Not really earthy, to sharp to be described as musky.  It's not bad, but it is quite peculiar.  There is also a slight overtone of a that familiar mouth-numbing zing.

Anyway, here are he make notes and some photos:

CA136l.   Crottin . 6/27
  5 pints raw nubian/lamancha/ND goat milk. 65F to start.
 3 pints whey from above cam make.
   1/32 tsp aroma B
      Pinch geo 13
    Pinch rennet.  8:07pm
Culture  24hr.allowing to come to room temp around 82F
Ladle curd equally into 2 small and 1 large pyramid molds. Drain 20 hrs room temp.  Flip and drain 10 hrs. Salt and leave at room temp 12 more hrs. Very delicate forms. move to fridge. 
6/30 Geo showing in white whisps.
7/8. Rind has a yellow cast with patchy white splotches.  ( rind remained the same throughout aging)
9/7 ate the last one with toast points.  A lot of cheese flavor in a tiny package.

kookookachoo

Re: Another Crottin
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 02:14:54 AM »
That looks really yum!! I've not been on the site in a while. Life has been really hectic. I've still been making cheese, though..and (shamefaced) lurking here, too.

I'm making chaource today. It's been a cheese-making weekend for me. Caerphilly, Tomme, Asiago, Manchego & now Chaource...rather, will be starting tomorrow. I love crottin, too. I go back & forth making crottin & chaource. I've a soft spot for the these cheeses as they're nearly instant gratification. And the taste..mmm. :D I almost gave up on them the first few times I made them, but after reading the posts here, understanding the cultures (my first attempt was almost a disaster-2nd was better, after help from iratherfly :D) , I considered it a personal challenge. And didn't regret it!

I'm going to have to wait til next year for some crottin. Alas, only one source for goat's milk around here for me. :(

Congrats! It looks sooo tempting.

Spellogue

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 07:26:11 PM »
I'm trying to plan my makes judiciously now.  My does' production is down this time of year and I'll dry them off within the next month or so.  I'll want to try to accomplish another lactic or two for sure.  I can make my holiday cams with cow's milk this year if a new milk source can accommodate me.  I usually turn to robiola as my go to blended milk cheese in the early fall, but I might like to do a semi hard blended milk storage cheese too this season.

I started my first Taleggio a few days ago using all goat's milk, but I'm afraid it's going pear shaped on me already.  There is still hope that I'll have an edible result,  but it's not going to look anything like a taleggio.

Tiss

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2013, 01:17:51 AM »
Crottin is one of my favorites! I thought I'd read they'd start to dry with age. All that creamy goodness looks amazing.

I started my first Taleggio a few days ago using all goat's milk, but I'm afraid it's going pear shaped on me already.  There is still hope that I'll have an edible result,  but it's not going to look anything like a taleggio.

I am so glad to have found someone trying this too! I made a goat taleggio about 3 weeks ago. I've been washing biweekly and it's starting to soften. I can't wait to hear how yours turns out. I'm just hoping for something edible.

Spellogue

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2013, 03:30:10 AM »
That is a nice looking taleggio.  I love that hint of rosy rind starting to show on the top.  Mine...not so pretty.  I'll try and get some details posted.  I had too much curd for the mold and it went south from there.  Did you use a commercial culture to develop the b. linens?  I resorted to ARN since it and PLA were all I had on hand.

I have had Crottins and Valencays that matured into hard cheeses in some instances, but this one had a different trajectory in mind. (As quite a few of mine do.  Happy Accidents like Bob Ross used to say.)

Tiss

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2013, 12:50:35 PM »
Well it looks delicious. I'm a sucker for oozy cheese. If we didn't have happy accidents, we wouldn't get new and exciting cheeses, would we? It's half the fun.

I used a pinch of b. linens in the curd and another pinch in the light brine I'm using to wash. This, a lemon spirited goat, and a Jersey Reblochon are my first 3 attempts at washed rinds. It may be disastrous!