Author Topic: Chocolate swirl in Ice Cream  (Read 4552 times)

mjr522

Chocolate swirl in Ice Cream
« on: September 08, 2013, 02:32:32 AM »
I know that when you put chocolate swirl (or chunks) in ice cream, you want the melting temperature of the chocolate to be significantly lower than the melting temperature of a chocolate bar.  I also understand that coconut oil can be blended with chocolate to lower that temperature.  I don't, however, know what melting temperature I'm looking for, or have any idea of the proportions of coconut oil to chocolate to use.  I understand that it's more complicated than this because of all the variation in chocolates.  Anyone have any advice?  I just want some chocolate swirl in my homemade ice cream that melts in my cold mouth... :P

shotski

Re: Chocolate swirl in Ice Cream
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 01:28:41 PM »
Hi Mike, I don't think it matters as much about what type of chocolate you use but how you prepare the chocolate for the recipe. If you want to PM me your email I can send you a couple of recipes later today or tomorrow.

High Altitude

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 07:44:27 PM »
Well it's certainly HOT enough around her to still be eating/making ice cream!  No advise here, just thought it was cool you were making your own.  I have to admit that I did not once break out my ice cream maker this summer...boo hoo :-(.

mjr522

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:28:14 PM »
I got a machine that has it's own refrigeration system so I don't have to worry about ice and salt.  It makes the whole process easier and thus, I make ice cream more often.  Now I just need to learn to make really good ice cream...

shotski

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2013, 11:02:37 PM »
Mike, let us know how the ice cream turns out. And of course pictures are a MUST  ^-^
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 11:59:24 PM by shotski »

Tomer1

« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2013, 02:00:44 PM »
Get yourself the book "the perfect scoop".
Covers basic icecream science and great recipes.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 03:05:05 PM »
Get yourself the book "the perfect scoop".
Covers basic icecream science and great recipes.
Got it. I agree. Good "complete" book.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mjr522

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2013, 03:51:58 PM »
I've attempted to make this a couple times now and have had issues that prevented me both times (cream went bad and ... something else.)  We'll try again this morning.  I'm thinking of using a ganache for the swirl.

I've read "The Science of Ice Cream".  I really enjoyed it.  The author recommended "Ices, the definitive guide", which I have found very useful, though I haven't read the whole thing, yet.  I'll add "The Perfect Scoop" to my list.  Thanks.

mjr522

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2013, 03:52:55 AM »
Okay--it didn't work out as I had hoped, though it was still pretty good.  The ganache was too thin and mixed in the ice cream too much, making it like a chocolate-vanilla blend.  Next time I'll use less cream in the ganache and poor it in the ice cream in a thinner line of chocolate.

[img width= height= alt=lump of ganache in ice cream.]https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/1380818_402722566519856_1834766528_n.jpg[/img]
[img width= height= alt=slightly melted ice cream]https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1381540_402722569853189_1166842484_n.jpg[/img]

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2013, 01:24:06 PM »
I think you'd have to fold it in after the mixing is complete.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

mjr522

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2013, 02:55:39 PM »
Boofer--that's a good idea.  I'll try that next time.

russellstevenn

« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2014, 06:13:41 AM »
Chocolate ice cream is undoubtedly one of the most popular single-flavored ice cream ...Vanilla flavoured ice cream sprinkled with chocolate cookie pieces and swirled with caramel ribbon.And the organic vanilla chocolate swirl ice cream is awesome! I love it and it's my best homemade ice cream yet!

frozen yoghurt mix