Author Topic: how can I know if its safe??  (Read 1040 times)

chewie

how can I know if its safe??
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:52:53 AM »
made some havarti a while back, almost 2 months.  its---very ugly.  mold and bumpy.  but, i thought eh, I will let it age in the cave and see what happens.  tonight i got brave and hacked off a hunk, sliced off the ugly parts and timidly brought it to my lips. 

its goooood.   the areas closest to where i cut off the mold topping is smooth and softer, the inside is still whiter and more firm/dry.   this was made with raw goat's milk.   I believe I hit my temps a few high during the make.

sooo, how can I know if this is deadly or not?   its got a flavor like a mild parmesean sort of, but not like bad sour.   I have 4 wheels of this stuff--2 like this, and 2 that are less tan and more fuzzy.  this wheel is a buckskin/tannish color.   

Denise

Re: how can I know if its safe??
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 03:02:21 AM »
You tasted it, and you're still upright? No trembling in the extremities, no sudden blackouts or mad dashes to the loo, no reappearance of the cheese?

Looks like it's not deadly.  ;D

chewie

Re: how can I know if its safe??
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2013, 02:00:30 PM »
oooh, that's how it is here, huh?    >:D    just thought i'd ask if there was some way to know before i eat the whole wheel and wind up, well, wheels' up.

since the middle is more opaque than the outer layer, well, is that what the aging is doing?  making it that texture thru-out the cheese?  middle is much like it was the day it was made.  the outer layer (under the black fur!  :o)  is just different.