Author Topic: 3rd Stilton (and testing some new stuff)  (Read 1134 times)

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: 3rd Stilton (and testing some new stuff)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2014, 10:03:24 AM »
I was thinking about cutting this in half (crosswise) and continue aging one half.  Any thoughts as if this is an ok thing to do? ????
I do it all the time, we just vacuum bag and cut and rebag.
I have half of one we bagged back in 12/13 the cheese was started in 10/13 and also have one that was started in March and bagged whole in June.
we are getting curious about both, I am about out of blue in the fridge so we will be cutting a piece of the half soon :P
act as if it were impossible to fail.

Guests, join the CheeseForum.org community to remove this ad.

Offline John@PC

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
« Reply #31 on: August 17, 2014, 03:57:50 PM »
Thanks H-K-J.  Going to see the kids this coming weekend and will cut a round to take and bag the rest.  I actually bought an commercial English Stilton that I"m going to compare in a blind taste test with my family (they say they will do it as long as I pre-taste it and don't go blind 8)).

Offline John@PC

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 23
  • Default personal text
    • Perfect Cheese
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2014, 06:36:17 PM »
Sliced a round off about a week ago and took it up to family to sample along with a "store bought" English Stilton.  Mine was a good cheese and got good ratings from the stinky-cheese lovers, but compared to the "control" wasn't quite Stilton-esque.  My p.R was a bit long in the tooth and while there was blue there it didn't dominate.  It had a more creamy (than crumbly) paste and a great aroma and flavor (and was very "spreadable" which made it nice for a toasted baguette).  All in all a satisfactory result :D.  Reserving the remaining 4 lb. for more ripening.