Author Topic: A "Spoons" problem (measuring spoons), Buyer beware!  (Read 6872 times)

Offline steffb503

• Catskill Mts, NY State, USA
  • Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
    • M & S Farm
Re: A "Spoons" problem (measuring spoons), Buyer beware!
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2014, 10:53:15 AM »
The blunt needle I am using is 3 inches long. I could have used a much shorter one. So there is no way for a syringe to account for what length needle I am using...

Susan, Why not remove the needle and just use the syringe. That is what I do. The syringe does not need the needle to draw up the rennet.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: August 13, 2014, 04:08:56 PM »
The syringe does not fit in the bottle of rennet!  At any rate, knowing the amount of rennet held in the needle makes it easy for me now.
Susan

John@PC

« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2014, 01:45:02 PM »
Just saw your post Spoons and it reminded me of my "discovery" a year or so ago.  I bought a really nice set of Volrath oval measuring spoons from KaTom and used them for several months until something caught my eye.  The 1/8 tsp seemed smaller than it should so I got my gram scale out and discovered it was 1/16 tsp :o.  I sent an email to KaTom and they were very nice so I decided not to sue for damaged cheeses.  Just for curiousness sake though I just went to their website and pulled up the picture of the spoons and it looks unfortunately like nothing has changed  :(.  That said I still use Volrath steam table pans that are quite good quality for the price.

dirigoma

« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2014, 10:16:11 PM »
While we're covering the issue of mis-sized spoons (I pondered this just the other day but my family was much less interested) ... how about inconsistent thermometers?? 

I have 5 ... large, 2 small, digital and solar!  They NEVER align.  I boil water, test them and use whichever is closest at the time.  Have tried adjusting with a wrench but they seem to differ by different amounts depending on the temp I'm checking?

Anyone else have this trouble ... or solutions?

Thanks!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2014, 02:08:56 AM »
I have two thermometers; I calibrate them to boiling water, but then at 90 degrees F, they will differ by 3-4 degrees. Now that I know that, and have marked which one reads higher than the other, I can use them together (one in the milk, one in the water bath) ... but of course I don't know which one is actually closer to the correct temperature!
-- Andy

John@PC

« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2014, 03:07:38 PM »
I have two thermometers; I calibrate them to boiling water, but then at 90 degrees F, they will differ by 3-4 degrees.
That's the problem with two of any kind of sensors / meters:  if they are off which one(s) is(are) off ????  Checking in boiling water is really easy if you're steam sterilizing, but you do need a second cal point.  The best I know of is a regular home thermometer checked at 100F or so which is right in the range of cheesemaking. 

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2014, 07:51:18 PM »
I too have found that at the boiling point my thermometers vary +/- 2 or 3 degrees so I looked at the 32 degree end of the scale,
that ended up right-on or maybe 1 degree difference to me that being closer to the 100 degree area for cheese.
just kinda the way my mind works :o
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/