Author Topic: Dark Green Mould Spots  (Read 1393 times)

Kirkbybil

Dark Green Mould Spots
« on: December 01, 2013, 07:19:08 PM »
Hi,

I originally asked for advice in this thread about my Fourme  - http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12164.0.html

However, the problem (if it is a problem) seems to be getting worse and I got no replies so I figured I'd ask a wider audience as my Fourme's, which are now 5 weeks old are getting more dark green spots.

They are only on the surface, and when they first appeared, I thought they might be at the skewer points but now I don't think that's the case as there's too many.

They are in a ripening box in my cave (wine fridge) at 50F and around 80RH. I have had the lid on to try and stop the blue contaminating my other cheeses so maybe a lack of circulation is to blame?

My question is, are they a bad thing or do I leave them?

If they are a bad thing do I scrape them off, or wash in brine, or vinegar and should I do it sooner rather than later?

Please help, I don't want to lose my xmas blues!  :D

JeffHamm

Re: Dark Green Mould Spots
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2013, 08:13:27 PM »
Hi Kirkbybil,

That looks like "black spot" (my name for it).  I think it is due to high humidity.  It's not really a problem, and it doesn't seem to influence flavour (just appearances).  It doesn't seem to have a taste either.   I went through a phase where all my cheeses were getting it.  I gave my ripening boxes a good clean with boiling water, etc, and that helped, but so did making sure the cheeses were well air dried before putting in the cave.  Harder to do that with the blues.

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2013, 10:50:15 PM »
Im really suprised to see it in a blue cheese as blue is so agressive.  I would scrape it... looks like it can also be wrapped and move to cold storage to develope some flavor while slowing down the blue mold.

Kirkbybil

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
Okay, thanks for the advice.

I have cleaned, washed and boiled the ripening container and put the cheese back in it in the cave, but with a gap to let air circulate.

As the spots are just on the surface,  I think I will leave for a week and then scrape if necessary as I'm not sure if the blue will grow back?