Author Topic: First stilton  (Read 10311 times)

Geodyne

Re: First stilton
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2013, 06:50:03 AM »
These cheeses are now 66 days old and have been in affinage at 11-13C and 75-85% humidity for 60 days. Having purchased myself a lovely, fancy cheese iron while in the UK, I thought I'd test these to see what they're doing. A photo of the result is attached.

These were covered in white fuzzy mould while I was away, and I brushed them down gently with a pastry brush as I had the first time. This time however, 12 days after their brushing, they've remained a bit wet on the surface, improving with daily turning and leaving the lid of their minicave container in the esky they're aging in. The paste is creamy with the expected cheddar tones, and there is a light blueing in the inside paste. It tastes of stilton but mildly.

Caldwell's affinage instructions say to now keep the cheese for up to 6 months at 7C. I can't manage that. I can do 13C or 4C in my kitchen fridge. I actually can't eat these because of their fat content so I'm waiting for my husband to come and eat them. That won't be for another month or two.  I'm trying to decide at the moment whether to re-pierce them and keep them at 13C to see whether they'll become less slimy on the surface, or whether to pop them in the fridge for slower maturation.

Does anyone have experiences to share that might help me make a decision? We like a strong flavour to stilton.

Geodyne

« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2013, 09:42:50 PM »
So apparently the other day, I learned not to try to make posts after a very long day at work while still getting over a cold.

Here's the 60-day old stilton. Mild internal blueing, slimy surface as the blue moulds die off. They have the faintest whiff of ammonia, so I've lowered the humidity in their mini-cave by removing the water bowl and I've been airing them daily.

I decided to continue aging these at 13C for another month or two, keeping my eye on them.

Geodyne

« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2013, 09:17:32 PM »
I cut one of these in half the other day, so I could pass some on to a friend. These have been in their minicave in the normal fridge at 4.5C (40F) for about a week as they were still a bit slimy on the surface and starting to smell ammoniated. They're drying out nicely now.

The ammonia I attribute to ripening at too high a temperature - I can only really consistently keep the cooler at 15C (55-60F) using an ice brick, and there are variations in temp. Cheese really need 11-13C so I may well be giving in and indulging in a wine fridge over the next few days.

The good news is that the ammonia taint does not extend past the rind. There are a few mechanical openings in this cheese, but despite only piercing these once, and late at that, there's been a nice blueing of the interior. As to the flavour, well, it tastes of stilton. Not bad for a novice if I say so myself. My challenge will be not eating all of this before my husband comes home. I really shouldn't because my stomach doesn't take to the fat content of stilton! This is the stilton I tested with the cheese iron. You can see the test spot on the right.

So what have I learned from this make? Stiltons need to breathe. Don't be too keen to brush the moulds down, let them grow. And the mechanical holes really will close so don't worry if the paste initially looks too open.

I've just been put on to a source which allows me to buy the local good milk at wholesale prices so I've two crates (9 gallons) of the Thursday milking coming on Friday. There will be more stilton made this weekend.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2013, 10:29:14 PM »
Ten cheeses to you for making a cheese you cannot eat! Looks magnificent!

Geodyne

« Reply #19 on: November 20, 2013, 08:50:19 PM »
Hah, thanks Dave. Don't get me wrong, I love this cheese! I just wish I didn't have to pay for enjoying it.  :-\

I sneaked a bit last night before dinner, and it was good. It's had good reviews from the friend I gave it to as well, so I figure I've done something right.

KTownCheese

« Reply #20 on: December 03, 2013, 02:20:19 PM »
Awesome job!  I love the rich blue colour your cheese is taking on.  Let us know how they taste!

Spoons

« Reply #21 on: December 03, 2013, 03:37:10 PM »
Nice job on your first Stilton, Geo! Looks real good! A cheese for you!

jwalker

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2013, 04:13:18 PM »
Very nice , I have two aging right now , one by the book , and one tweaked by me.

I hope at least one of them comes out that nice.

Have a cheese Louise ! ;D

Geodyne

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2013, 07:22:24 PM »
Thanks! These are ageing further now, vacuum-packed at 50F. I've two more stiltons which I made about 10 days ago which look even better, and which are now blueing up nicely. I must really find the time to get photos up.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2013, 02:49:08 PM »
I must really find the time to get photos up.
Hey, where are the photos?!   Must...have...photos....  ::)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2013, 03:05:40 PM »
Ya, where's the pix??? :(
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Geodyne

« Reply #26 on: December 04, 2013, 07:14:40 PM »
You should be careful what you ask for! After two busy weekends of cheesemaking, I've about seven cheeses' worth of pics stored up. But the fridge is almost full. >:D

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #27 on: December 04, 2013, 07:19:35 PM »
COOL ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Geodyne

« Reply #28 on: December 04, 2013, 09:34:47 PM »
Two stiltons, by request!

I made these from a very similar recipe to the one at the beginning of this thread. These are from a 12-litre (3-gallon) batch and weigh just over 1 kg each. They've been in the cave for about 10 days now and are blueing up nicely. I'm relieved, because I used the bain marie for the first time making these, and in a moment of inattention allowed the temperature during cheddaring to rise to 44C rather than the 39C called for. I was worried I'd killed the PR.

After all the queries I made about moulds for stilton, it's worth recording that a 3-gallon batch is just right for two, 115mm x 130 mm hoops.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2013, 09:39:57 PM by Geo »

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #29 on: December 07, 2013, 05:28:39 PM »
Ten cheeses to you for making a cheese you cannot eat! Looks magnificent!

I tried to give you ten but the site only allows one per hour or somesuch...it's the thought that counts!  :D