Author Topic: Stainless Steel Cheese press options  (Read 8970 times)

homeacremom

Stainless Steel Cheese press options
« on: March 02, 2009, 07:49:59 PM »
OK, I'm done with rigged cheese presses.  :D I am going to buy a stainless steel press, but I can't decide which one.
Now is the time to tell me what you would do with out worrying what it might cost! LOL

Are there any small presses that are pressure regulated? Can pressure be regulated with springs or does it have to be a pneumatic or hydraulic system?
I also wanted to be able to make up to 5 gallon batches and the best I can find in stainless steel is a 5 3/4"D by 7"H. Anyone know of anything better?

Currently this is my top pick...best price on type. http://www.thegrape.net/browse.cfm/4,10204.html

BTW, Cartierusm...I like your press alot just a bit put off with having to deal with an air tank or compressor with only a 3' and 2' counter space. Need more space and more storage for in between times.... any chance you make screw down types?

Cheese Head

Re: Stainless Steel Cheese press options
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2009, 11:38:07 PM »
Home Acre Mum

Looks to me like the same unit but used for sale on ebay USA. But I don't think 5 US gallons of curds is going to fit in that mold.

Also, I've noticed a lower cost new stainless one come up for sale on ebay every now and then, no idea of quality or size.

If I had my choice I would like a large unit in which I could put a range of sized molds from 4" to 12" diameter and like you said hold steady pressure and be easy to clean, hygenic.

For constant pressure you either have to go with external force like you said or stand alone or like Wayne I think has made from 2x4" stud in wall. There are pictures of 3 stand alone ones here, just go to Shop on menu then scroll down to see the 3 pictures.

Also a 100's more pictures here.

Good luck!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:48:51 PM by John (Cheese Head) »

wharris

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2009, 11:59:10 PM »
My press: $10.75

homeacremom

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 01:23:31 AM »
Hmmm...
Wayne, thanks for the pics.... looks like a great setup. With a 1200 sq ft house, 3 kids, 2 adults and homesteading lifestyle I better choose a smaller scale model.
Looking at Dutch style presses/plans again.  :D 

Thanks for the ebay link, John. I searched stainless and missed it!

Likesspace

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 02:07:39 AM »
H.A.M.,
If I were you, I would take another look at Carter's press.
His 8" model (will hold up to an 8" diameter mold which will easily do a 5 gallon batch), is very very compact and will not take up much space at all.
The press itself takes up an approx. 10" squared space and as for the air tank.....well it comes with 15 feet of air hose so it can simply sit on the floor with plenty of hose to spare.
For that matter, the entire setup could sit on the floor, completely clearing up your counter space. It really is a very compact unit.
As for the air usage and need for refilling......
If you rig your tank up correctly I'd bet you could make close to 10 wheels of cheese before even thinking about needing to recharge.
I never dreamed that this press would be so thrifty concerning it's air usage but even on a 24 hour press I will only see the pressure in the tank drop a pound or two.
I honestly can't say enough about how well this press performs.
With a spring style press you constantly have to readjust the spring to keep the same amount of pressure on the wheel. As the curd compresses the spring is not putting out the same amount of force, and a screw type press would be exactly the same.
With Carter's design, the cylinder is constantly "re-adjusting" itself to keep the exact same amount of force on the mold. By re-adjusting I simply mean that if the curd compresses the air cylinder continues to lower the ram which presses on the follower.
Also, a dutch style of press is going to take up MUCH more room than Carter's press and not be nearly as stable. This truly is a press that you can set up and walk away, from.
I'm sure that by now everyone is convinced that I'm working on a commission program from Carter's site, but the truth of the matter is that The Master Series Cheese Press is the best thing that I've seen for the home cheese maker, hands down.
I don't have a thing in this other than wanting to see others experience just how well this design works.

P.S......Carter, that's another $50.00 you owe me.  ;D

Dave

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 08:33:34 PM »
Dave if I made any sales I would. Plus regular work is slow...sorry did I say slow I meant what work. Retirements is fun...did I say retirement I mean forced retirement, or at least this week.

Anyway, thanks for the plug Dave. At least with all this time on my hands, I'm always busy doing something anyway. I've got to build out another one of my mills to CNC.

HAM, the problem with the springs they are using in their setups are that they are fairly short and as a spring uncompresses, as the cheese becomes more compact it loses it's force. So let's say a spring is rated at 50lbs. when fully compressed, once you set it about 1 minute later when the curd has compacted it is now pressing at 10lbs. Plus the throw on those springs are usually 2-3 inches. You would need a spring about 10" long to do anything effective.

I'm sure I could build a spring one out of the frames I have but I would need to R&D them with different springs, calculating forces and the drop off of the force at different lengths, so it wouldn't be much cheaper.

keepitlow

« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 02:15:39 PM »
My press: $10.75

I don't see any holes in the cheese containers on the sides. I'm new to cheese making, so may be missing something. But where does the liquid go at the bottom?

wharris

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2009, 08:52:41 PM »
If you click on the picture below, you will get a better picture of the mould and see those holes.

keepitlow

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 01:08:12 PM »
Thanks Wayne.

Those are big cheeses. How much milk do you use to make one of the wheels?

Do they sell smaller plastic molds like the ones in your photo?

wharris

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 01:36:06 PM »
They are 1kg moulds.  I need 2.5 gallons to make one mould.  I typically make 5 gallon batches.