Author Topic: new press design  (Read 2686 times)

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 29
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
new press design
« on: January 08, 2015, 09:09:59 PM »
Has anyone kept records on the compression of curds in the mold on the last high pressure pressing of a milled curd cheese? For instance , do the curds compress by 1/8 or 1/4 or 1/2 inch in a 6 inch or 4 inch diameter mold? Thanks in advance, I am testing a new press design.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
Re: new press design
« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2015, 01:34:44 AM »
Has anyone kept records on the compression of curds in the mold on the last high pressure pressing of a milled curd cheese? For instance , do the curds compress by 1/8 or 1/4 or 1/2 inch in a 6 inch or 4 inch diameter mold? Thanks in advance, I am testing a new press design.

No idea, but I have a sturdy press coming in the mail right now.  I'm so excited.  Thanks! 

If it's not a secret, what sorts of improvements are you considering on the new design BTW? 
- Andrew

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2015, 05:29:26 AM »
Smolt- using your press in a 6.5 inch form, on the last cheddar I made.... The loose curds transferred to the form filled it to the top. By the time the cheese was done, the mass had compressed by about 3 inches. Is that what you mean?
Susan

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2015, 05:47:56 AM »
Andrew:

The sturdypress won't be changed, I'm testing a totally new press.( yours will be there Monday)

Susan:

Yes, that is what I am looking for, but just the portion  of the compression on the last high pressure pressing. So if you pressed at weight 1 for 15 minutes, then turned the cheese and pressed for 15 minutes with weight 2, then pressed over night with the BIG weight 3, how much did it compress on the last BIG weight press?

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 240
  • compounding the benefits of a free press
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2015, 05:22:10 PM »
Smolt,

I admire the design of your sturdy press, and especially the fact that you can select two different mechanical advantages. I'm curious about what could be improved? :)

Actually, I have been playing with possible improvements in the design of the press that I made a while back (a picture here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,12702.msg98529.html#msg98529, and plans in reply # 11 here: http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,6509.0.html). One design that I think is ultra-cool is the compound-lever, very-high-MA press that is pictured and described in reply # 6 of the latter thread -- and I see that you commented on it as well, specifically noting the issue of range of movement. Are you by any chance experimenting with a variation of that design?

I have some thoughts about how such a design might be modified to allow selectable MA, both to allow more range of movement, and for ease in achieving lower pressures (I don't know that I need 40 psi very often, but I certainly do need to be able to apply only .25 psi, or even less, for the initial press of many cheeses). I'm still debating, though, whether to go with something simpler, still with selectable MA, but topping out at 8x or so MA.
-- Andy

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2015, 05:36:45 PM »
Smolt - looking at my notes on the cheese, I have a pretty gradual increase in weight from about 45# to 135#. The last increase in weight was from about 117#. I made the last increase to make the knit more smooth. The compression on the mass of curd was minimal. The biggest change in compression of the curd was probably the initial 45# with the curd going from filling the form to about  75% of the form but not really holding together enough to flip. Then when going to 72# with compression of curd down to about 4 inches and stable enough to turn. Final size is a little under 3.5 inches. I needed to use the extra blocks of wood you provide with the press in order to adjust the angle of the lever.
Susan

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2015, 06:37:27 PM »
Thanks Susan, that is exactly what I was looking for. I only do 1 gallon size batches and I wanted to see if the compression on the last press on a larger batch is minimal like it is on small batches.

Awakephd: The sturdypress won't change ( I can make them with my eyes closed ), but in the winter my shop is COLD so every 20 minutes I have to sit in front of my little propane heater and warm my hands. When I'm sitting I have to do something, so I design things in my head like a compact cheese press.

Requirements:
       1  press from less than 2 lbs to 10 PSI on a 6 inch diameter mold( 280 lbs ).
       2  no lever resets in the middle on the night
       3  fold up to fit into a 6 x6 x 24 inch box
       4  fold up or fold down in less than 20 seconds
       5  weigh less than 8 lbs
       6  easy to use
       7  cost less than the sturdypress

I am now in the process of testing for accuracy and trying to break it.

Offline pastpawn

• Mature Cheese
  • Cheeses: 45
  • It aint easy being cheesy
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2015, 08:45:28 PM »
Thanks Susan, that is exactly what I was looking for. I only do 1 gallon size batches and I wanted to see if the compression on the last press on a larger batch is minimal like it is on small batches.

Awakephd: The sturdypress won't change ( I can make them with my eyes closed ), but in the winter my shop is COLD so every 20 minutes I have to sit in front of my little propane heater and warm my hands. When I'm sitting I have to do something, so I design things in my head like a compact cheese press.

Requirements:
       1  press from less than 2 lbs to 10 PSI on a 6 inch diameter mold( 280 lbs ).
       2  no lever resets in the middle on the night
       3  fold up to fit into a 6 x6 x 24 inch box
       4  fold up or fold down in less than 20 seconds
       5  weigh less than 8 lbs
       6  easy to use
       7  cost less than the sturdypress

I am now in the process of testing for accuracy and trying to break it.

Please tell me you made mine with your eyes open :)

If you need a tester, I'm making cheese every weekend.  I'd be happy to test a new gadget.  More than happy. 
- Andrew

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2015, 09:44:38 PM »
Wow, the weight and portability / storability goals (folding up) are impressive! I look forward to seeing what you have come up with!
-- Andy

Offline smolt1

• Mature Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • SturdyPress.com
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2015, 11:09:51 PM »
Awakephd, If you teach physics, you will love it!

Offline awakephd

• Old Cheese
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 04:15:12 PM »
No, actually I teach Greek and New Testament. But I enjoyed taking physics in college, and my hobbies include wood- and metal-working, in addition to cheese-making. Basically, I love taking things apart, figuring out how they work, and putting them back together ... or figuring out a new design. :)
-- Andy