Author Topic: Manhattan!  (Read 1464 times)

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Manhattan!
« on: September 18, 2013, 03:02:53 AM »
I will be in Manhattan for the first time ever part of Weds, all of Thurs, and part of Friday!!  Are there cheese stores I should visit!  The entire time is mine to plan, I just need to know where to go!!
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Manhattan!
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2013, 02:47:45 PM »
I'm sure you'll get a lot of responses from NYC folks, but here's my pick:

Murray's

Never been there, but I've had some cave-aged cheeses from there.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Spellogue

« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2013, 05:33:08 PM »
Yes definitely Murray's for one.  Great cheese available there and it is convenient.  I've only been to the Grand Central Station location.  You certainly should plan to spend a little time at Grand Central, fabulous bit of architecture and history that it is.  I understand Murray's has a Greenwich Village location too.  Probably worth stopping at both. 

I hope some native NYers chime in to identify some shops off the beaten path for you.

Off subject, but we yarn hop when we're in NYC.  If you are a knitter or into fiber arts you should make a point of stopping a Habu Textiles in midtown.  Takako, the owner, imports all kinds of wildly exotic fiber products from Japan that you won't see anywhere else.  Her store is hard to find, an unmarked location at 135 W 29th St # 804.  Oh and School Products is right there at street level.  Berta Karapetyan is the proprietress, she's there often.  They are the importers of Karabella yarns, but they carry all kinds of other great stuff too.

So much to see in NYC.  We'll love to hear about your trip.

Geodyne

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2013, 08:19:36 PM »
I am not a native New Yorker. But I've spent a fair bit of time there, as one of my closest friends is a Bronx native. I can recommend Saxelby cheesemongers, at 120 Essex Street East Village. They work with small farm producers. In addition to the one at GCS, Murrays has a store at Bleecker Street, which is worth a wander down.

Aside from cheese, I second the Habu recommendation, if you're into textiles.  It's worth heading to the top of the Rockefeller Centre as that gives you the best view of the Empire State Building. And if it's a nice day it's well worth heading out to Fort Tryon Park to visit The Cloisters: http://www.metmuseum.org/visit/visit-the-cloisters . They're undervisited in my opinion.

Spellogue

« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2013, 01:18:00 AM »
And when you're in the East Village, stop at TeaNY for a respite.  It's the tea room Moby helped establish.

Back 2 The Frotture

« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2013, 07:46:24 AM »
While manhattan has great selection, you have as a trade, manhattan prices.  Especially midtown.  Go down town to little italy and you'll find Alleva.  Then go into Brooklyn and check out the Bedford Cheese Shop, or Stinky Bklyn.  The advantage is that the mongers are more available to talk.

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2013, 09:17:10 PM »
We did stop by Murray's and the smell was amazing!!  Funny thing was there was a person from Point Reyes in California sampling their wonderful blue cheese. You can take the girl out of California, but you can't take her away from California Cheese!! Too bad we could not visit the caves!
We did enjoy our brief stay in Manhattan, walking from12th street to 2/3 of the way up Central Park, and then the next day going over Brooklyn Bridge, and down to Battery Park. Ate some good food and saw some amazing buildings and some emotionally moving sites.
I hope to visit again some day.
Susan