Author Topic: Best Recipe for Pizza Cheese?  (Read 1597 times)

Rachild

Best Recipe for Pizza Cheese?
« on: August 31, 2013, 10:45:15 PM »
Hello, I'm new to the forum and to cheese making.  I've seen lots of recipes for mozzarella, so many I'm a little overwhelmed.  I don't know where to start other than to say my son loves Pizza.  We eat more pizza than any family has a right to, so it would be nice if I could make some good pizza cheese.  It doesn't have to be too fancy as it's mostly for a 5-year-old, just something shreddable and melty.  Preferably something a novice could pull off.  Anyone have a suggestion?

Spoons

Re: Best Recipe for Pizza Cheese?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 04:49:06 PM »
I'm having a lot of success with mozz lately, ever since I made the switch from whole-homogenized to whole-non-homogenized. My best advice is that no one can tell you this or that recipe is the best. It's more about your technique, setup, and ingredients choice and quality. Here's a few guideline for the best results though:

• Buy a PH meter. PH readings for stretchability is kind of important.
  • Use whole, pasturized  non-homogenized milk
  • Don't take any steps in the recipe for granted. Each step will help in the final result of the cheese. So be methodical in every step, and tweek your technique as needed... This will require time and experience.
  • For a good mozz, don't do the 30-minute recipes.
  • May be helpful or not, but this is how I make cheese: Choose one recipe and stick with it. Then tweek the recipe one tweek at a time until you're satisfied. Ask these boards for help on what tweek you may need

I've been using the 200 Easy Homemade Cheese recipe, I've settled on the TA-060 culture and I'm quite pleased with the results. I was planing to use lipase sometime to see how it affects the taste, but I think it needs a little more time to mature. I also want to try to cheddar the curd mass eventually as opposed to waiting 3 hours for acidifying to the right level. I also want to try with added heavy cream or go the opposite way and try some 2% milk. I've always got some tweeks I want to try (but never more than one at a time)... As you can see, eventhough I like my current mozz, I'm always looking for a tweek to see what it does.

Final thought: the best recipe is Experience.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 04:54:40 PM by Spoons »