Author Topic: Liquid Rennet Bottles With Large Twist Caps... Such a pain...  (Read 2574 times)

Spoons

Liquid Rennet Bottles With Large Twist Caps... Such a pain...
« on: November 03, 2013, 03:47:05 PM »
I recently bought some liquid rennet that comes with a large twist cap opening. I make 8L batches so I use very small amounts. It's a bit of a pain to pour such small amounts from a large opening. I thought about a syringe, but I'm a little hesitant as I wouldn't want to accidentally contaminate the whole bottle.

Anyone have a solution for this? Ideally, I'd buy my own empty bottles with an appropriate cap, but can't seem to find anything. Mabe I'm looking in the wrong direction?

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
Re: Liquid Rennet Bottles With Large Twist Caps... Such a pain...
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2013, 09:26:37 PM »
I am using 3 ml syringes with 3 inch blunt tip large bore needles and that is working just great! But I did have a few makes with too fast flocculation until I realized that I needed to adjust down on the measurement to account for the .2 ml in the needle...
Susan

gjfarm

« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2013, 04:48:52 PM »
I sometimes give rennet to new cheesemakers who don't want to buy a whole bottle.  I pass it on by filling Diabetic Syringes.  One of the measurements on them is actually in "drops" so it's really easy to use.

Spoons

« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
Thanks for your help everyone. I ended up buying a few bottles from Amazon. I cringe at the idea of paying $10 shipping for a $3 bottle, but I did it anyways. Here's what I got;

http://www.amazon.com/Vestil-BTL-RC-2-Polyethylene-Dispensing-Removable/dp/B00B5135N2/ref=pd_sim_indust_1