Author Topic: Cheese Fondue?  (Read 5699 times)

Cheese Head

Cheese Fondue?
« on: May 28, 2008, 11:26:36 PM »
After a good party on Saturday night, for a "light" meal Sunday night my family & I had an instant boxed tin foil package probably infinite shelf life Swiss Gruyere style cheese fondue thta my wife had bought with vegies and bread squares. Haute cuisine is wasn't.

Has anyone made their own and if so recommend or not recommend a recipe, tricks and traps? Thanks . . .

Cheese Head

Re: Cheese Fondue?
« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2008, 11:31:10 PM »
Sorry, just remembered there are two videos on how to make cheese fondue posted in bottom links section of the website's info page on Gruyere Cheese.

None the less, if anyone has recipes, tricks and traps they'd be appreciated . . .

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2008, 12:32:59 AM »
I make cheese fondue all the time...well, all winter long, it's just not a summer meal.

Get a good loaf of Italian or French bread...something with real crust and cut it into 1 1/2 inch cubes, put it in a bowl, cover with a cloth and let it sit all day.   It's much better if it's a little stale/dry.

I use a gel-fired fondue pot, so I make the fondue over the stove in the pot and keep it warm on the table with the gel. 

In the fondue pot add a tablespoon of olive oil, two cloves crushed garlic, a pinch or more of crushed red peppers and a good amount of freshly cracked black pepper.  Add one cup of good white wine.  Anything works, but use something you like to drink.  Add a 1/4 cup kirsch if you like.  I sometimes add cognac instead, just for fun. I've even tried Jack Daniels.

Shred about 5 oz of cheddar and 5 oz of swiss cheese (I have used all types, but a good melting cheese works best)  I buy those standard 8 oz packages at the store and shred a little more than half.  You should end up with about four cups of shredded cheese.  Add about a tablespoon of flour to the shredded cheese and mix the flour and the two cheese together.

Warm the wine mixture over medium-low heat.  Once it is warm, slowly add the shredded cheese mixing continuously with a wooden spoon.  The wooden spoon is important and once you start adding cheese, you are over the stove stirring...I do mean continuously...slowly, but continuously.  It takes ten to fifteen minutes to slowly add all the cheese, a palm full at a time.  When the consistency is right, about like watered-down yogurt, it is ready.  Have everyone ready and waiting, because you have to serve it immediately. 
« Last Edit: June 10, 2008, 09:52:15 PM by DaggerDoggie »

Cheese Head

Cheese Fondue?
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2008, 01:35:16 AM »
Thanks DD, appreciate the details and insight, will have to give it a try, just need to find time!

Cheesemonger

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 09:37:43 PM »
When making cheese fondue, which I love but don't get around to making very often, I use half Gruyere and half Emmentaler.  The combination is quite tasty.

My two cents on the best cheese fondue are this: 1. Don't overdo it when adding white wine or kirsch.  There's nothing worse than cheese fondue that tastes like you're taking a shot of liquer!  And 2. Of course dipping bread is delicious, but I'm also a big fan of cooked mushrooms.  They're a bit tricky because they're slippery, but worth the effort!

DaggerDoggie

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008, 10:59:31 PM »
I just watched both these videos for the first time.  I have made fondue this way and it comes out great, but with a better chance of scorching the cheese if you are not careful.  The way I make it, while not as traditional, is a little more foolproof as you add the cheese to warmed wine.  I also used to rub a whole clove of garlic into the pot, loving garlic, I thought that was a waste.  I now smash with the side of a knife and throw it all in.

I used to add cornstarch, but now just add a little flour to the cheese itself.  Both work.  Cornstarch is a stronger binder and will will thicken it more.

Merlin is right, too much liqueur can diminish the taste of the cheese.  I rarely make it the same way twice as I like to experiment, but you can make great fondue with simple, basic cheese.  It only get much better with great cheese.  The one guy is anal about his measurements.  Once you have been successful a few times you can measure less, and experiment more. ;D