Author Topic: Red pepper jelly  (Read 5915 times)

shotski

Red pepper jelly
« on: September 24, 2013, 11:30:23 PM »
While waiting for my wife to get home I thought I would do a batch of red pepper jelly. Only problem is it doesn't make much and with cheese and crackers it goes way to fast.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 22
  • Making cheese since October 2012
Re: Red pepper jelly
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 06:45:30 AM »
That looks great, Can you post the method you used as I would love to try it.
-Bill
One day I will add something here...

shotski

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 01:09:46 AM »
Here you go Schnecken Slayer. My comments and what I have done with this recipe are in green. I am looking for a red wine jelly recipe now.

Red Pepper Jelly

5-6 red bell peppers    (with nice skins) (I also use 2 medium hot banana peppers for some tang)
3\4 cup white vinegar  ( I use white wine vinegar it is much nicer)
1 box of Certo Light
3 1\2 cups white sugar

1) Cut and seed the peppers, chop peppers finely. If using a food processor do not puree. (I have pureed I have chopped finely and have made it clear. it all depends on what you want the final product to be like, puree is more of a thicker consistency, chopped is a jelly with bits of peppers, or if you strain the juice through cheese cloth it will be a clear jelly. ) ( If you are making a clear jelly you can also add some chili flakes they look very cool suspended in the clear jelly.)
2) Put peppers in a heavy pot and add vinegar. ( I usually simmer the peppers for 20 minutes or so just to extract colour and flavour especially if I am making a clear jelly.)

3) Follow instructions on Certo box (it will say to add 1\4 cup of sugar to Certo. (At this point you want what is in the pot pureed, chopped or strained this is the start of the finished product) Add the Certo and sugar mixture to the pot while mixing.

4)Bring mixture to a boil.

5) Add the remaining sugar and bring back to the boil for 1 minute.

6) Put in hot sterilized jars and seal.

Enjoy  John

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 08:35:26 PM »
I make a savoury chilli sauce called Kasoundi which is great on wraps, sandwiches or chicken.
Much the same technique - Chop everything up and cook for 1/2 to 1 1/2 hours until the flavours combine.

1 kg      Fresh organic tomatoes
3 or more   organically grown chillies (mixed cayenne manzano and jalapeno)
250 ml    cider vinegar
6 Tbsp    fresh ginger
9 cloves   fresh garlic
125 ml    vegetable oil
1/2 Cup    brown sugar
1 Tbsp    black mustard seeds
3 Tbsp    cumin
3 tsp       tumeric
1 Tbsp   Coriander Seeds
1      Red Onion
2 - 3 tsp   salt.
-Bill

shotski

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 08:52:44 PM »
Thanks for the Kasoundi recipe. It sounds like a chutney I make. I hope I didn't complicate the way I posted the original red pepper jelly recipe with my comments added.

Offline Schnecken Slayer

• Old Cheese
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 06:05:20 AM »
Thanks for the Kasoundi recipe. It sounds like a chutney I make. I hope I didn't complicate the way I posted the original red pepper jelly recipe with my comments added.

No, it was good.
I wondered how you got it so clear and I also liked the idea of adding flakes to give it bit more character.
-Bill

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2013, 01:59:41 PM »
Here you go Schnecken Slayer. My comments and what I have done with this recipe are in green. I am looking for a red wine jelly recipe now.

Red Pepper Jelly

5-6 red bell peppers    (with nice skins) (I also use 2 medium hot banana peppers for some tang)
3\4 cup white vinegar  ( I use white wine vinegar it is much nicer)
1 box of Certo Light
3 1\2 cups white sugar

1) Cut and seed the peppers, chop peppers finely. If using a food processor do not puree. (I have pureed I have chopped finely and have made it clear. it all depends on what you want the final product to be like, puree is more of a thicker consistency, chopped is a jelly with bits of peppers, or if you strain the juice through cheese cloth it will be a clear jelly. ) ( If you are making a clear jelly you can also add some chili flakes they look very cool suspended in the clear jelly.)
2) Put peppers in a heavy pot and add vinegar. ( I usually simmer the peppers for 20 minutes or so just to extract colour and flavour especially if I am making a clear jelly.)

3) Follow instructions on Certo box (it will say to add 1\4 cup of sugar to Certo. (At this point you want what is in the pot pureed, chopped or strained this is the start of the finished product) Add the Certo and sugar mixture to the pot while mixing.

4)Bring mixture to a boil.

5) Add the remaining sugar and bring back to the boil for 1 minute.

6) Put in hot sterilized jars and seal.

Enjoy  John

Shotski , I would like to try that pepper jelly , but first , am I missing something?

When I look at the ingredients , it doesn't seem like there would be enough volume to fill all those jars you show , is that one batch ?

Do you add any water at all ?

Thanks , Jim.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2013, 07:33:11 PM »
Pepper Jelly sounds great!! Thanks for the recipe.  Doing a little pickling on my day off.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

shotski

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2013, 07:57:14 PM »

"Shotski , I would like to try that pepper jelly , but first , am I missing something?

When I look at the ingredients , it doesn't seem like there would be enough volume to fill all those jars you show , is that one batch ?

Do you add any water at all ?

Thanks , Jim."

very observant Jim. I doubled the batch. You will find in the Certo light instructions that they recommend not doubling the recipes but I have done it a few times not and have not had a problem.

John

shotski

« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2013, 08:01:33 PM »
Pepper Jelly sounds great!! Thanks for the recipe.  Doing a little pickling on my day off.

They look really good Al. Love pickled eggs.

shotski

« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2013, 04:38:44 PM »
Re Pickled Eggs
Hey Al, Do you have a trick for getting the shells off the eggs easily and consistently. I find it very hit and miss sometimes they come off leaving the egg as it should be and other times it is very difficult to separate the shell from the egg making them look like they have been through a war zone. Any suggestions?

Thanks  John

Pete S

« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2013, 06:44:00 PM »
   Don,t use fresh eggs, at least a day or 2 old.
start with eggs in cold water with salt and a little vinegar.
cool in cold water when done.
this works for me.  Pete

jwalker

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2013, 07:16:54 PM »
I have that problem with peeling as well.

Check this out:

http://www.wikihow.com/Peel-an-Egg

shotski

« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2013, 08:34:24 PM »
Thanks for the ideas. I have heard of the freshness being an issue but I have tried leaving the eggs in the fridge for a week and using cold water to start with, but when cooking and pealing 2 dozen one would come off beautifully and the next a royal pain. Next time I will have to try the cold water after to contract the inside of the egg and vinegar.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2013, 09:19:20 PM »
I believe the cooking time is key.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos