Author Topic: Purple smears on camembert?  (Read 5756 times)

Alison

Re: Purple smears on camembert?
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 02:48:06 PM »
Hi

Excuse my curiosity,

The moulds were all sanitised by leaving in the sink with iodine solution.

What does an "iodine" solution contain? I've noticed that if I use iodated salt on overcooked potatoes then the iodised salt makes a purple stain. I know that a P.camemberti "fur" is mostly made of chitin (a starch) - maybe the elemental iodine could colour it purple?

.... and the purists also insist on non-iodated salt for cheese...

regards alison

leboy001

« Reply #16 on: October 22, 2013, 11:30:56 PM »
Hi

Excuse my curiosity,

The moulds were all sanitised by leaving in the sink with iodine solution.

What does an "iodine" solution contain? I've noticed that if I use iodated salt on overcooked potatoes then the iodised salt makes a purple stain. I know that a P.camemberti "fur" is mostly made of chitin (a starch) - maybe the elemental iodine could colour it purple?

.... and the purists also insist on non-iodated salt for cheese...

regards alison

Its Iodophor. which according to wikipedia is "often used by brewers and winemakers to sanitize equipment and bottles. Its major advantage over other sanitizers is that when used in proper proportions it evaporates directly from solution to gas, and hence leaves no residues"

But i guess you could be right. I think however it is something else. Anyway i will give camembert 1 more go before i give up on it

Spellogue

« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
Anyway i will give camembert 1 more go before i give up on it

I hope you'll keep at it.  Camembert is a rewarding cheese.  You're results in future attempts are sure too improve with your ongoing research and efforts.