Author Topic: Hello all, Dave from Riverside CA here  (Read 3289 times)

Digitalsmgital

Hello all, Dave from Riverside CA here
« on: September 25, 2013, 01:45:43 PM »
I have only made a quark cheese from grocery milk and buttermilk, so I am a true newb and deserve your loathing and pity. (In exchange for your sage advice) I can make yogurt so I think I can make cheese! WRONG!

I have fashioned a crude cheese press from discarded materials found in my shed, ordered veal rennet, various meso cultures, calcium chloride, and I have secured a source for raw goat's milk. Now I stand upon the very precipice you yourself teetered upon so long ago.

I am a professional truck driver, a good musician, an OK photographer, a wanna-be pastry chef, and a lousy writer.

Look for me asking all the dumb questions. Regards, Dave

jwalker

Re: Hello all, Dave from Riverside CA here
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2013, 02:28:50 PM »
Oy Dave , welcome to the forum.

I'm sure you will make fine cheese , especially now that you've found this source of information.

Truck driver , long haul , short haul , straight truck , B trains , super B's ?

I drive truck during the winters myself , when I have time off from my home restoration business , just short hauls though , I tried the long haul thing and don't really care for living in a sleeper for days or weeks at a time , many of my friends just love it though.

Welcome again.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2013, 02:33:49 PM »
Look for me asking all the dumb questions. Regards, Dave

welcome to the forum Dave, don't worry I have a lot of uneducated and dumb answers
Have fun and show us yer pix's ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »

Truck driver , long haul , short haul , straight truck , B trains , super B's ?

The company I drive for uses B trains(28s), 53s and 48s. I drove long-haul for many years but my wife likes me home with her, so now I do local.

Ananke

« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2013, 09:28:43 PM »
Hi Dave, I'm a newbie too.  So much information on this site, I've been reading for weeks.

bobbymac29649

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2013, 11:48:47 PM »
Welcome Dave.  I lived up the hill in Big Bear for years before moving East to be closer to family.
You'll learn tons from this site.  Everyone is more than willing to help out with questions or problems you may have in your cheese making journey.   :D

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2013, 02:49:24 AM »
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome, I will surely be posting here often, as I plan on beginning my first cheese next week! I could not be more excited, I do enjoy manipulating dairy products for my own evil intentions!

We had a cabin up in Big Bear for many years (late 80s, 90s) east of the airport. Maybe I saw Bobbymac at the Oktoberfest or on the ski lifts?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2013, 04:42:05 PM »
Just a note: you won't need calcium chloride if you are using raw milk so just ignore that part of the I gradient list.

Welcome and I don't agree that you're a lousy writer.  I found the wording of your post delightful!   :)

Pete S

« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2013, 05:29:14 PM »
I always use calcium chloride with goats milk, to get a better yield. Something about it being naturally homogenized                                                                                                                                  Pete

Geodyne

« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2013, 07:51:18 PM »
Hello Dave, and welcome! I'm still a relative newbie myself, but I've been at it for long enough now to be able to tell you that it can become an obsession.

I'm another from the trucking community. My father - now retired - did long-haul for well over 40 years.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2013, 10:07:36 PM »

Welcome and I don't agree that you're a lousy writer.  I found the wording of your post delightful!   :)

You and I shall become fast friends, you can spot talent from 2,377 miles away! You wouldn't happen to be in publishing, would you?

Love seeketh only Self to please,
To bind another to its delight,
Joys in another’s loss of ease,
And builds a Hell in Heaven’s despite.
– William Blake
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 10:42:26 PM by Digitalsmgital »

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2013, 11:02:59 PM »

You and I shall become fast friends, you can spot talent from 2,377 miles away! You wouldn't happen to be in publishing, would you?

Fast friends it is then!   ;)  If you're meandering around on the forum you'll find various places where I've waxed lyrical or nonsensical in various, perhaps even entertaining, ways.  The lounge has a thread titled something like "Snapshot of your life here and now".  You'll find various members providing glimpses into their non-cheese lives.  Very fun!  I think I put some cute baby goat videos or at least photos there.  Nice to have you here!

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2013, 09:20:25 PM »

The lounge has a thread titled something like "Snapshot of your life here and now".  You'll find various members providing glimpses into their non-cheese lives.  Very fun!  I think I put some cute baby goat videos or at least photos there.  Nice to have you here!

That was a good thread, I learned a lot about who is who by reading that one! Thanks for the welcome and the tip. And I volunteer to help you eat all those strawberries next June! ;)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2013, 10:39:42 PM »
That was a good thread, I learned a lot about who is who by reading that one! Thanks for the welcome and the tip. And I volunteer to help you eat all those strawberries next June! ;)

Sure, and bring friends too!  You can help pick and eat and then we'll build an outdoor oven and have some bread baking parties.
 ;)