Author Topic: Too much rennet?  (Read 2557 times)

SpargePervert

Too much rennet?
« on: September 27, 2013, 09:53:33 AM »
I've heard somewhere that too much rennet can lead to a bitter flavour in the cheese.   I was just wondering how much rennet is too much?

I think I screwed up slightly on my recent farmhouse cheddar attempt.
I used about 1/4 a tsp of rennet in 4.5litres of milk.  ( As i recall the recipe called for 1/2 a tsp in a 8l batch)

I was doing the floc test and after half an hour my plastic lid was still spinning free and easy like a spinning top. and the milk looked and felt like nothing had happened at all.
So I added another 1/4 tsp of rennet and stirred thoroughly. 
Mistakenly I left it for 5mins without checking, but it was really firm by then, the lid wasnt spinning.  By about 8 mins after my second addition I had decent clean break. 

I guess I shouldnt have pitched the second amount and just left it longer....

I must have added about double the amount of rennet the recipe called for.  Is this going to cause a major issue? and if so, when will it be obvious? would the curds have been bitter, or will the bitterness develop over time? 

The cheese is looking great, so I hope its not screwed up!

Tomer1

Re: Too much rennet?
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2013, 11:36:45 AM »
I was doing the floc test and after half an hour my plastic lid was still spinning free and easy like a spinning top. and the milk looked and felt like nothing had happened at all.
So I added another 1/4 tsp of rennet and stirred thoroughly. 

If this happens you didnt add enough rennet in the first place and at this point I would just cut it by clean break.
Disturbing a renneted milk is not a good idea.