Author Topic: Dumb question #1 Pasteurize  (Read 2308 times)

Digitalsmgital

Dumb question #1 Pasteurize
« on: October 05, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
Having pasteurized at 145 degrees F for thirty minutes, my target temp for adding culture is 70 F. No need to ice bath to 40 and raise the temp to 70?

The pathogens are killed at high temps, not the ice bath stage, right?

Also, no pasteurization is needed if aging cheese over two months? Cow's, goat, sheep, or combos?
« Last Edit: October 05, 2013, 07:10:20 PM by Digitalsmgital »

Geodyne

Re: Dumb question #1 Pasteurize
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2013, 07:56:25 PM »
Once you've pasteurised, you just need to bring the milk down to your pitching temp There's no need to lower and then raise the temperature as the pathogens are killed by the pasteurisation temperature. Chilling the milk just slows down any pathogens rather than killing them.

Pasteurised or raw-milk is more a matter of preference than anything else, unless you're selling the cheese. You'll find opinions both ways.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2013, 09:58:16 PM »

Pasteurised or raw-milk is more a matter of preference than anything else, unless you're selling the cheese. You'll find opinions both ways.
Ahhh, so I gather the laws are much more relaxed this side of the Black Stump? Thanks for the quick reply... I will pasteurize the milk leftover from the two-gallon batch I started today, I can make a fresh style next week from it.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2013, 01:24:46 AM »
I use raw milk for all my cheeses, even short-aged varieties.  It depends upon the cleanliness of your milk.  milk from farmers who sell to corporations who will ultra pasteurize can get away with being less careful about cleanliness.   ???  I have my own goats so know exactly how the milk is handled from milking onwards.  need some goats?  I have three for sale right now.    ;)

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2013, 03:23:00 AM »
I use raw milk for all my cheeses, even short-aged varieties.

So my friend has five milking goats, and I know what he feeds them and his milking techniques...his family drinks the milk and makes cheese from the raw milk. I do not need to pasteurize the milk to be safe? Terrific! The few gallons I heated today took too much time from my precious Saturday! Thanks for the info!

Geodyne

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2013, 04:17:09 AM »
You lucky man!

Far from the laws being easier this side of the black stump, it is not possible to buy unpasteurised cheese here, nor is it legal to sell raw milk for human consumption. Some local cheesemakers have succeeded in buying raw milk from time to time,  "for feeding to young animals".

jwalker

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2013, 02:48:24 PM »
You lucky man!

Far from the laws being easier this side of the black stump, it is not possible to buy unpasteurised cheese here, nor is it legal to sell raw milk for human consumption. Some local cheesemakers have succeeded in buying raw milk from time to time,  "for feeding to young animals".

Much the same here in Canada , no raw milk can be bought or sold retail in this country , unless you are licensed by the Milk Marketing board to do so.

You can however "give" milk away for animal feed.

Just lately we've had another case of poisoning , so the authorities have even more reason to enforce this rule.

Check it out , this place isn't far from where I live.      http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2013/09/23/gorts-gouda-cheese-e-coli_n_3977806.html

Geodyne

« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2013, 07:24:56 PM »
I read about that. It's a real shame.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2013, 05:00:25 PM »
So the two galon batch of goat cheese yielded a nice size wheel! Gonna rub it with B Linens and vodka for a few months then find out I did something horribly wrong or if I got lucky my first time out. Didn't brine it as planned, dry rubbed the salt and it's in the "cave". It was taller the first day and has gotten shorter but wider circumference...probably not a good sign.

Does anyone really succeed on the first try? Where do I post pix and brag about my supposed accomplishment?

Geodyne

« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2013, 07:19:03 PM »
You simply must post pics.  :) Pop them in the "washed rind" thread.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2013, 08:21:55 PM »
Yes, like Geo said. Start a new thread on a relevant board and post whatever you want.  Most people with more patience than I post a lot of great details about their make starting with the source of the recipe, the type and quantity of milk, cultures, amounts of everything and then what they did.  Then there's the lazy people like me who pop up and post some details and photos when they think of it.....sometimes only when they cut open the cheese.   :-[   The more details the better if you have questions to ask about why something happened, or what to do next for an aging situation.  Very skilled people who are generous with their time will usually chime in to answer questions.  We're so lucky!   ^-^