Author Topic: Help, I left cheese in brine too long!  (Read 6592 times)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Help, I left cheese in brine too long!
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2014, 11:03:07 PM »
You know, Susan, I really don't remember.  I might still have it doing a long term aging but I probably ate it.  I will probably check out what is aging sometime soon because I don't really have enough milk production going on to make hard cheese.  I HAVE been having loads of fun with small batches of "Lackadaisical Cheese" that are coming out very tasty no matter what I do as far as timing, etc.  In fact, I'm expanding my frontier of exactly what you can omit from a recipe's instructions and still have amazing cheese.  This week I'm doing a Humboldt Fog style cheese in a jar.  It's in the pre-drain stage now and will go into the mold soon. 

if I find the cheese that this thread references I'll post about it.  Otherwise consider that it's calories have been burned already.

;)  -Kathrin

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2014, 01:23:54 AM »
if I find the cheese that this thread references I'll post about it.  Otherwise consider that it's calories have been burned already.

;)  -Kathrin

Ms T,
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2014, 01:59:57 AM »

;)  -Kathrin

Ms T,

Hey there, HKJ!!!!!  Nice to see you!   ;D  Yeah, consider me just a cheese calorie incinerator.  Burn through them all getting ready for winter.  hooves to trim, strawberry beds to replant, hazelnuts and quince to pick along with a late MASSIVE crop of raspberries.  Breeding season is here for the goats and sheep, etc. etc.  It's all good but there's too much of it!

Mermaid

« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2015, 02:28:10 PM »
So I just discovered a batch of cheese I forgot about in the brine- an appenzeller brining since March 31. I usually brine it for 3 days because they're 25 lb wheels. It's april 14th now and I'm feeling really stupid. Is this going to make it too salty? Could I just age it out longer to make a grating cheese? Help?

Stinky

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2015, 03:07:10 PM »
Hmm, this is interesting. For starters, I'd put it in an anti-brine. Water with vinegar and CaCl2 but no salt. This will draw out some of the salt. You could also shave off a bit and see how salty it is. If it's really salty, maybe cut it into cubes and make feta sort of with it, or try aging it for a very long time.

Mermaid

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2015, 03:22:39 PM »
Thanks. My only aversion to doing the anti brine is the size of the wheels and the volume of the brine tank. Not sure where I would anti brine them...

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #21 on: April 21, 2015, 11:08:15 AM »
Mermaid, I'm in Chester, MA. Where are you?  Nice to see another MA person here!