Author Topic: Howdy from Kingsport Tennessee...  (Read 2026 times)

Wannie

Howdy from Kingsport Tennessee...
« on: March 03, 2009, 08:05:59 PM »
Hello everyone,  I have just recently gotten interested in cheesemaking.  I loooove eating all kinds of cheese and at 53 years young I've probably eaten enough cheese to kill most people  :-\ .

My interest was really spurned to cheesemaking when someone sent me a link to Professor David Fankhausers Cheese Page.  I spent hours and hours on his site perusing the different kinds of cheeses and how to make them with things you already have in your own kitchen.  His instructions were so detailed that I was impressed to try it.  It sounded simple enough. 

I am now following his plan for 'Beginning cheese making' by making yogurt first, then progressing on to more complex cheeses as you master the simple ones.  The yogurt turned out perfect as did the labneh which btw is really good with freshly chopped dill mixed in.  I just got my rennet tablets in the mail the other day and now I'm ready for something a little more challenging but I think I might need to acquire some more equipment first. 

Anyways, getting connected to this forum and getting input from people thats "been there done that" is a really good place to start I think.  I am thinking neufchatel will be my next cheese to try and then probably cheddar.  I am open minded to suggestions.

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
Re: Howdy from Kingsport Tennessee...
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2009, 08:17:40 PM »
Welcome. We're all friendly here. Faulk..page is a great place to start. His recipes I find tend to revolve around homesteading type cheesemaking. Meaning leaving overnight and such for acidifing.

Captain Caprine

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2009, 08:50:38 PM »
Welcome Wannie,
Plenty of people here to help you no matter which cheese you use.  So figure out what you like and go for it. 
Neufchâtel is an easy one you should have no problems there.
CC

chilipepper

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2009, 09:56:20 PM »
Welcome to the forum and you'll find a ton of information here for most styles of cheese you may be interested in making.  Check it out and see what you find or don't find and keep us posted on your experiences. 

Ryan

Wannie

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2009, 11:13:56 PM »
Thanks guys for the kind welcome.  I am looking forward to drawing on your experience and maybe adding a little of my own when I can. 

As I live in the city sort of, I will be using store milk for the time being so I think I'm gonna need some calcium chloride I think.  Anyways, I've found a local supplier not too far away so I wont hafta go very far maybe.  It's the Epicurian Outpost in Johnson City TN.  They also have home brewing supplies also.

Thanks again
Ronnie (my real name) from TN

Cheese Head

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2009, 11:55:34 PM »
Howdy Wannie (Ronnie) and welcome to the forum, your cheese making odyssey is a well worn trail, Neufchatel or Cream Cheese is a good next step then if like Feta and then into the pressed cheeses.

From my previous welcomes I expect you've noticed that we have a Geographic Board by Country > State/Province in case you want to post any local type stuff like your supply of rennet above.

I've only ever used store bought pasteurized and homogenized milk whole cow's milk from here in Houston USA to make cheese, the first 15-20 times were without CaCl2, with no noticable negative effect!

Have fun, lots of nice members here!

PS: If you want you can change your visable name to Ronnie if want as it can be different that your User Name, or we can mostly call you Wannie ;D.

Wannie

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2009, 02:23:37 AM »
Thanks John, you sure have got a good thing going here from what Ive seen so far and Ive jus scratched the surface.  And... most everybody calls me Ronnie so thats what I'll go by here too I think.  I will change that shortly in my profile.  Yes I have noticed the Geographic Board and I will post local stuff there too.

I am planning a trip to the cheese store on Thursday to have a look see, and maybe pick up a couple thing idk...  Not been there yet but have the basic info on it.  Btw, I ordered my rennet from Redco Foods, it is the Junkett tablets, got 2 boxes of 8 to get me started.  That will probably last me for a while for now.

The cream cheese would be a great idea for the next project and then the wife could make a cheesecake with it.  She has a great recipe and everyone that tastes it just loves it. 

Anyways, I'll be doing a lot of reading on here getting to know everybody and be posting when I can.  I think I am off to bed now.

Ronnie from TN