Author Topic: Adding water to help disolve: How much is too much?  (Read 1784 times)

Spoons

Adding water to help disolve: How much is too much?
« on: November 12, 2013, 03:44:14 PM »
I make tiny 8L batches and was wondering what is the limit of distilled water I can add without affecting the final product.

For instance, during the "additive" stage, right before renneting, one can add Lipase, Annato, CACL2 and then rennet. All of these ingredients are required to be diluted in water.

How much is too much water?

george

Re: Adding water to help disolve: How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2013, 10:40:50 AM »
I always figured any "extra" water just comes out in the whey, so never really worried about it.  I could be wrong, though.  I'm thinking, though, that as long as you're not accidentally dissolving something in a gallon of water instead of 1/4 cup, you're probably okay.   :)

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2013, 11:54:25 AM »
I always figured any "extra" water just comes out in the whey, so never really worried about it.  I could be wrong, though.  I'm thinking, though, that as long as you're not accidentally dissolving something in a gallon of water instead of 1/4 cup, you're probably okay.   :)

Yep , that about sums it up for me too , 1/4 cup is my standard for rennet for a 4 gal. batch.

linuxboy

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »
generally, no more than 1:100 is ever necessary.