Author Topic: Geo 17, P. Candidum, Propionic Shermanii 3 months out of date  (Read 2552 times)

jwwbrennan

Geo 17, P. Candidum, Propionic Shermanii 3 months out of date
« on: October 03, 2013, 10:48:43 PM »
I read people are using out of date cultures by increasing the quantity but I have not been able to determine a 'rule of thumb' recommendation of quantity based on the educated guessing of experienced cheese makers. I have Geo 17, P. Candidum and Propionic Shermanii which are all out by three months, can anyone recommend how much more I could use? As I am not trying to meet any standards other than taste and texture it doesn't really matter if the results don't emulate the original just as long as they make a good cheese. The Emmental was delicious so I would like to come as close as possible with that but if I miss and it's still good that would be great. Can anyone point me in a try-this direction?

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Geo 17, P. Candidum, Propionic Shermanii 3 months out of date
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2013, 11:14:03 PM »
I have heard that expiration dates are created for warranty reasons of the manufacturer so that no one can complain or ask for compensation after that date.  I'm sure I haven't expressed that quite accurately but that's the gist of what I heard.  Also, those particular cultures aren't responsible for the acidification process so I'm not sure it's as worrisome if they aren't as active.  What is more important is how they've been stored.

linuxboy

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2013, 11:41:12 PM »
yeah, so increase 1-2% per month it is past expiration. Meaning practically,  don't do anything different for 6 months, then increase by a wee bit.

jwwbrennan

« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2013, 09:55:14 AM »
They have been stored as directed on the packages (freezer for these three) and linuxboy's decidedly concise answer has me running out to buy milk.

Thanks

dthelmers

« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2013, 06:59:58 PM »
If you have doubts about the viability of a culture that has been in storage a long time, you could always make a mother culture to revive it.

Sailor Con Queso

« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2013, 07:05:19 PM »
None of those mentioned can be easily grown as a Mother Culture.

dthelmers

« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2013, 07:10:49 PM »
Good to know.