Author Topic: Camembert  (Read 4505 times)

Smurfmacaw

Re: Camembert
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2013, 04:45:00 AM »
I'm using 1/8 tsp per gal of SAM-3.  Since I use ash, it's easy to see when it show up and at this usage rate it's been on the third or fourth day that it definitely shows up..

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2013, 10:06:31 PM »
Opened up one of the Camemberts today.  They seemed kind of firm to me but after feeling commercial varieties to judge the firmness I thought it was time to open one to see how they are doing.  The paste seems fully softened yet it's not runny.  Very soft and elastic.  The rind is quite thin and almost crispy.  When bitten it basically disentegrates with a slight snap on the teeth. 

The taste....wow!!  I assume the depth of flavor comes from the raw milk.  Way more complex flavor than anything I've tried from the supermarket.  Saltiness is right on the money (well, to my palate anyway and I'm the one I'm trying to please here.)  I just can't get over how much flavor is packed in this little cheese.  I think the ash contributed to a rapid, uniform growth of the PC and therefore extremely even ripening.  The flavor is reminiscent of grass and sweet milk with buttery overtones, nicely salty without it being overwhelming.  I'm really happy with this one.

I've got the second wheel in the household refrigerator now to keep it from going too far.  Definitely on the remake list as my wife loves it too.  I think the only thing I might change a little bit is to stir a little less and maybe get a slight bit softer paste when ripened.

The picture is when the cheese is just out of the reefer and at 38 degrees so it's very firm.  I'll get another pic when it comes up to room temp.  The small wedges I pulled out this morning just started to slump a slight amount when the come to room temp at 78 degrees.  This one is going to be part of dinner tonight.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 01:46:27 PM »
Congrats on your cross of Valencay and Camembert! ;)

Sounds like a surprising success. A cheese for your efforts. Tweaking the technique for the next one should make for a sweet little cheese.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 03:26:30 PM »
WOW! that looks great :P a cheese to you for your excellent cheese ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

jwalker

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »
And another cheese to you for a success !

I have never tried the ash thing , i think I will order some and give it a go.

Do you eat the rind with the ash , I usually like the rinds on Cams and Bries , is there any flavor rr grittiness at all ?

Congrats !

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 04:43:00 PM »
There is no flavor or grittiness from the ash at all.  I was very happy with the flavor of this cheese and the texture was extremely close to what I was shooting for.  Now I've got a good starting point and can adjust.  The rind came out very nice, not thick and chewy but rather almost like a thin shell (ok, exactly like a thin shell) that is ever so slightly detectable texture wise.  I like it.  Next go round I'm going to cut the stirring in half or maybe a little less in the hopes it'll get a little softer and gooier. The flavor was really big though, not strong or in your face but really mellow and deep.

Beats the heck out of what I've purchased in the supermarket which seem to have a rather superficial flavor.

thanks for the cheese.

I'm going to try it with raw goats milk in a future iteration.  Any pitfalls to look out for using fresh Nubian milk?

Smurfmacaw

Re: Camembert - Final Post for this Make
« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2013, 05:59:23 AM »
I took the second wheel to work to feed the cheese sharks.  I value their opinion since the folks I work with have never been accused of pulling a punch.  Bottom line, comments ranged from "what the heck are you doing working here, you should do this for real" to "can I buy some?"  Very gratifying.  I tried a commercial Cam I bought mostly to judge the texture and the flavor wasn't even close.  I'm sure the raw milk made all the difference.....and what a difference it was.  I need to work on the moisture content a bit to achieve the right texture but the flavor was great.

I'm going to try a goat version soon.  This is a great cheese.  Even got complements on the rind so the ash coating is not a bad thing.  My press is sitting there being lonely right now since I am having so much fun with the bloomy and washed rind cheeses right now.....Great hobby overall!  (except for my waistline perhaps.)

High Altitude

« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2013, 06:16:57 PM »
I have copied your recipe so I can try this one....looks fantastic!  A cheese to you!

timkrav

« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2013, 12:40:42 PM »
what was the final weight of each cheese? what size mold did you use?