Author Topic: First Cheese EVER  (Read 8713 times)

Digitalsmgital

First Cheese EVER
« on: October 09, 2013, 12:41:59 AM »
I kept a rudimentary log of my first attempt, not at all on par with what I have read here in these pages...I will try harder next time. I do not even understand many of the entries in the recipes here in the washed rind & smear ripened forum. But goats milk is what I am learning with, I can get raw cow's milk also, but I plan on my first few attempts to be with goat milk (raw) that I pasteurize. (or not)

In the next few hours I will try to transpose my crude notes from my iPad to my computer or just copy them manually, so you can see what I tried to do. It will be a goat's milk Époisses de Bourgogne style, rubbed with B Linens and lemon infused vodka, aged two months or more.

It was pressed Saturday 10/5 and was about 3.3x6.2 inches and has since spread to 2.5x8 which worries me. I don't have a proper "cave" and live in warm climes which will be another challenge.

Regards, Dave

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: First Cheese EVER
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2013, 01:35:39 AM »
Alright! welcome to the fanatical world of cheese 8)
A cheese to you for your jump into the vat ;D
I don't have a proper "cave" and live in warm climes which will be another challenge.
if you have a Styrofoam cooler you can place a ice bottle in with your cheese, if to cold use smaller ice bottle to adjust temp
works for me :)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Tobiasrer

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2013, 01:46:59 AM »
Congrats! May not be what you planned but looks like a great first attempt.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2013, 01:53:59 AM »
Thanks guys! I certainly DO have a cooler, and where I live the temps only vary 15 degrees F (day to night) during the wintertime, thanks, that very well may be my solution until next spring when the temps vary 35 degrees or more LOL day to night. We are at an altitude of 1000 ft above sea level, yet it is HOT daytimes in the summer. (Cold at night)

Denise

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2013, 02:19:34 AM »
A cheese from me for a very respectable first fromage.

...lemon infused vodka?  That sounds very interesting. Do let us know how it turns out!

JimSteel

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2013, 12:21:42 PM »
Looks cool, eager to see how it turns out.  I think I'll be making a washed rind next myself.

And since it's raw milk, just make sure that you do indeed age it at least 60 days.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2013, 01:14:38 PM »
Respectable-looking FIRST cheese, Dave.

Wow, how gutsy to jump in with an Époisses de Bourgogne style! :P

I'll be watching the progress for this little cheese with keen interest.

Reading the follow-up posts, my math is faulty...two folks promised you a cheese, but I only count one cheese in your profile. :(

Just sayin'....

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2013, 02:53:30 PM »
Reading the follow-up posts, my math is faulty...two folks promised you a cheese, but I only count one cheese in your profile. :(
Just sayin'....
-Boofer-

Thank you for the reminder :-[
My excuse, a cup of hot coffee and a cocker spaniel who thinks she needs to be in my lap when I am on the computer
Ouch!!!  :o
(all fixed)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

jwalker

« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2013, 03:13:32 PM »
..................and another cheese for a first great attempt !

Looks Good !

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2013, 03:19:43 PM »
I have to add a cheese for you having such bravery to try that tyle of cheese!!!  Way to GO!!! ;D. Is that from Mary Karlin's book?  if you are using that book do go to her site online and print out all the mistake corrections or mark up your book with the corrections.  Ruined a couple of cheeses before I put her book aside in disgust.  Found the corrections but still haven't gone back.  DO keep us posted with photos!!!!   ^-^

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2013, 03:33:19 AM »
LOL you guys are scaring me...I love èpoisses so I thought why not...
I should be giving out thumbs ups, not receiving them because of my ignorance!

Is that from Mary Karlin's book? 

Yes it is from M Karlin's book, mistakes? Surely not! In a published book? Oh lordy!

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2013, 12:04:36 PM »
LOL you guys are scaring me...I love èpoisses so I thought why not...
I should be giving out thumbs ups, not receiving them because of my ignorance!

Is that from Mary Karlin's book? 

Yes it is from M Karlin's book, mistakes? Surely not! In a published book? Oh lordy!

Mistakes, oh yes! Ruined a Cabra Al Vino by not having any salt at all in it.  Looked everywhere in her recipe but no mention of salt so I figured she was correct.  Icky tasting cheese resulted.   :P  Because I remember that it's pretty hard to find the corrections on her website I've gone and found them again so I can post the link.  It's a pdf file here:
http://www.artisancheesemakingathome.com/pdfs/ACMH-CORRECTIONS.pdf       I sure wish she made it easier to find them......IF I ever write a book that needs corrections I promise there'll be a link in the header titled, "Corrections to book" so that no one has to spend a half hour wandering down dead end website corridors looking for the elusive information.  If Mary ever reads this I hope she decides to make her corrections easier to find.  And also, if she ever reads this I want her to know here photos cause drooling......but that I like that part.   :-*

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2013, 05:45:38 PM »
So I looked up the recipe for Cabra al Vino and the salting step is there in my copy...hopefully this edition has no need for the buried corrections page. Heartfelt sorrow for your departed loved one. Sorry for your loss! (Your Cabra)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2013, 07:47:19 PM »
I hope all the corrections were done in your edition.  I am still in mourning for my Cabra......you know, a black armband goes with almost everything I wear.....jeans, t-shirts and barn boots.  I fancy that it adds a touch of class so maybe I am holding onto my grieving mode just a bit too long and for a shallow reason.   

My Karlin book says it's the first edition in the back where all the ISBN info is.  I guess her list of corrections would be even more helpful if each correction listed which editions it applied to.    :-\

High Altitude

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2013, 07:51:17 PM »
My copy of Karlin's book also includes adding salt to the curd before pressing.  It says to mix 1 tsp into the curd, but the "correction" changes that to 2 tsp.  Anyway, I'm sorry that Tiarella's Cabra de Vino was ruined :-(.