Author Topic: Powered Rennet  (Read 2932 times)

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
Powered Rennet
« on: January 17, 2014, 06:29:37 PM »
Since I have had issues using up liquid rennet before it expires (and I've no idea how long my local store had it on the shelf) I figured that I get some powered rennet http://www.thecheesemaker.com/products/Dry-Calf-Rennet-Powder.html It claims that it will store indefinitely in the freezer which is good. However, the recommended measurements (1/16th tsp per 2 gal) are smaller than I can reliably measure.

1) So I was wondering if I can I reconstitute it with water up to the point where I could measure it out as a 1/4 or 1/2 tsp; as long as I keep the original ratio intact? Essentially making my own liquid rennet as needed from an indefinitely fresh source.

2) If I did that, any guess what the shelf life on the reconstituted rennet might be?

Thanks!

linuxboy

Re: Powered Rennet
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2014, 07:11:23 PM »
Make it up in saturated brine, or nearly so (~23%). Adjust pH if possible to around 5.5-6.0.  If you were to add in benzoate and caramel color, you'd get commercial rennet solution. As for shelf life of reconstituted stuff, it depends on contamination potential. If your handling is clean, it will last about as long as commercial liquid calf rennet.

MrsKK

« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2014, 11:13:15 PM »
When I bought my first powdered calf rennet, I also bought the little measuring spoons he sells on the site.  They are for "dash", "pinch" and "smidgen" and I had to figure out exactly what those terms meant, but they work just great.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2014, 11:43:22 PM »
This might help
Drop=1/64 tsp.
Smidgen=1/32 tsp.
Pinch=1/16 tsp.
Dash=⅛ tsp.
Tad=¼ tsp.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

MrsKK

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2014, 04:56:45 PM »
Thanks for that HKJ!  I have the equivalents written on the front of my cheesemaking folder and the inside of my favorite cheese recipe book, but neither were handy when I was typing out my reply!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2014, 06:35:29 PM »
Yes mam, I have it in the cookbook on my cheese recipes and the computer, my mind don't work in smidgens ;)
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2014, 06:58:28 PM »
While most of the cooking world uses the Imperial Units, cheese makers have long used the Hobbit's measurements.  :D

Offline Gobae

• Medium Cheese
  • Cheeses: 11
  • Default personal text
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2014, 03:09:55 PM »
This might help
Drop=1/64 tsp.
Smidgen=1/32 tsp.
Pinch=1/16 tsp.
Dash=⅛ tsp.
Tad=¼ tsp.

Yes, I had seen these micro-measuring spoons before. Unfortunately, some manufacturers don't adhere to those fractionals.

Norpro - 1/5 tsp, 1/11 tsp, 1/16 tsp, 1/32 tsp, 1/64 tsp.
Norpro - 1/4, 1/12, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64
RSVP - Accurate only if contents are heaped/rounded

So, since I don't know who the manufacturer is for the ones on thecheesemaker.com I got a set from amazon that was reviewed to actually measure accurately. That said, it's good to know that I can always convert to a liquid form as plan B.

Many thanks to all who replied!