Author Topic: Pasteurizing  (Read 3259 times)

huffdaddy

Pasteurizing
« on: March 04, 2009, 12:27:24 PM »
I plan on getting some goats soon, and I had questions about pasteurization.  FWIW, I'm probably going to be making cheese with the milk on Tuesdays and Saturdays. 

Do most people pasteurize their milk? 
When is it done?  Immediately after milking? Or can it be done daily with a mixture of morning and evening milk? 
What's the best process you've found?  e.g. keeping the temp constant, cooling rapidly, etc.

Any other tips or suggestions welcome.

TIA

stuartjc

Re: Pasteurizing
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2009, 03:11:15 PM »
welcome, Huffdaddy!

Take a look at the clotted cream article on wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clotted_cream

As well as traditional butter:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Butter#Types

there are advantages and disadvantages to "collecting during the day" and "pasteurising at collection", it all depends on what you want to produce :)

Ariel301

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2009, 10:51:20 PM »
I don't know about what most people do, but we don't pasteurize ours because we feel raw milk is healthier for us to drink. I don't know what effects that has on the cheese, because we haven't been very successful yet at cheesemaking.

homeacremom

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2009, 03:23:17 AM »
Part of the reason we have dairy goats is because we believe the nutritional value of raw milk is healthier. I am, however, very picky about sanitation and herd health.
Raw goat milk makes much better cheese. Better curd set, better flavor... Although I will occasionally pasteurize for a cheese to be gifted to someone with lower immune function, I avoid the process as much as possible. In the instance of pasteurized milk cheeses I take fresh milk, pasteurize and cool down only to the starting temp of the recipe, then begin making the cheese. Pretty consistent results that way.
If you do want to pasteurize I would suggest trying to doing so right after milking to avoid cooling, reheating, and cooling again. The less temperature change the better for the flavor. If you can't get consistent results that way, then perhaps it would be best to collect and store cold and pasteurize as the first step of your cheesemaking day.
Pateurizers are nice, but pricey. I have acquaintances who use the turkey fryers in the same way. It actually works quite well. At minimum, invest in a good double boiler set up.