Author Topic: Shattered Dreams of Saint Paulin #3 Using P&H Milk  (Read 10949 times)

Smurfmacaw

Re: Shattered Dreams of Saint Paulin #3 Using P&H Milk
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2013, 01:53:34 AM »
I won't tell anyone.    :-X

Thanks for keeping quiet , I got down to Idaho yesterday and got 4 gallons of low temp creamline milk , looking forward to a make tomorrow , a four gallon Gouda.

Now that is going the extra mile for quality milk!

jwalker

« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
I won't tell anyone.    :-X

Thanks for keeping quiet , I got down to Idaho yesterday and got 4 gallons of low temp creamline milk , looking forward to a make tomorrow , a four gallon Gouda.

Now that is going the extra mile for quality milk!

Well, it's only a half hour drive , I live about five miles from the border crossing , we go down regularly anyway for groceries an gas.

I'll be going down this weekend for another 8 gallons , made another Gouda yesterday.

Oh , and gasoline is $1.32 per litre in BC , just across the border , it's .87 cents , so I save a pile just filling up there. >:D

Oh Canada !

JimSteel

« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2013, 11:15:49 AM »
Living on border towns definitely has advantages.  Is that a Canadian or an American litre?  ;) 

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2013, 03:32:36 AM »
So much for my geography! A)  I made it to Ottawa for a couple of weeks once for a conference.  The Canadian government is WAY nice than the dysfunctional buffoons to the south.  They put us up in a suite each and even gave us a break on the exchange rate.  Everyone hates when they hold the conference in the US. 

Sorry, rant mode off.....it's nice you can drive only a little bit and get quality milk.  Enjoy it, I pay 16 USD per gallon for raw cow milk.  Weather sure is nice here though. ::)

Still, you get to tell everyone that you are so fanatic about your cheese that you travel internationally to source milk of an appropriate quality.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
I pay 16 USD per gallon for raw cow milk.
  ???...:o Yeow! And I thought $11.99 was bad. I get a little break if I use creamline.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2013, 01:33:09 AM »
Enjoy it, I pay 16 USD per gallon for raw cow milk.

On the black market? or across the border?

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2013, 08:02:54 PM »
Tomorrow marks the third week for this cheese. The recipe called for 12-15 days before removing the linens. I decided that because this was a P&H based cheese that it should get a little more time for the linens to work on the paste.

The wheels are firm but still soft enough to hold promise of another satisfying Saint Paulins cheese. Removing the linens makes the entire cheese edible. Before I began doing that, the linens attached to the rind was offputting and, in most cases, had to be removed to enjoy the cheese. A number of recipes do call for the linens to be washed off under cool, running water. I use my special cheese brush to remove the linens layer but leave the cheese intact and unblemished.

After perhaps another couple weeks these cheeses should be ready for tasting.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #22 on: October 30, 2013, 09:31:20 PM »
Nice presentation of linens removal.  I do the same thing.  Works a treat and you get a nice cheese.  I should look at trying one of these. 

- Jeff

Tomer1

« Reply #23 on: October 30, 2013, 09:38:30 PM »
The shmir removal is to decrease the stinkyness of the cheese? (reduce enzyme activity)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 01:22:20 PM »
The shmir removal is to decrease the stinkyness of the cheese? (reduce enzyme activity)
I find the schmier not exactly a taste sensation. It could be stinky and/or bitter which would be counterproductive to tasting a cheese with an otherwise sweet & creamy profile. I just want the cultures in the PLA to work their magic and then Poof! ... disappear.

I have attached the recipe so that you can see the schmier-removal step.

I should look at trying one of these. 
They are pretty foolproof to put together and the wife and I enjoy them equally. The small form factor allows them to ripen fairly quickly and they make great gifts. My son and his family may get one of these for the holidays. It will most likely be in a cheese assortment with some young and aged Beauforts, saffron-infused Hispanico, Gouda, and Baby Swiss.

-Boofer-
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 01:29:48 PM by Boofer »
Let's ferment something!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2013, 03:47:28 PM »
I couldn't resist cutting into one of the wheels.

When handled, the wheels all feel soft and pliable under the vacuum sealed plastic. The stark white color is somewhat offputting after having used both raw and then creamline milks in the previous two efforts.

The texture and sliceability were very similar to #1 and #2. The first taste of this cheese was mildly distasteful. As I chewed and let the flavor and character of the cheese develop...no "Wow!" here. The character of the cheese is nonexistent, just like the color. Clinically white and vapid. It's cheese alright, but there's little else to recommend this cheese.

Okay, to be fair, this cheese is only 4 weeks old. So, a little more ripening time may allow the inner character to emerge. With that in mind, I will try this again in several weeks...and try to maintain a somewhat objective viewpoint. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2013, 05:33:01 PM »
Hmmmm, does look very Velveta like.  More time, though, may help.  Apart from caerphilly, I've found most cheeses really improve around 2 months, and I use P/H milk for the vast majority of my makes.  Some cheeses are supposed to "quicker", but I've not really found that to be the case.  Could be due to the processing of the milk, so I wouldn't count this as down and out just yet.  It will ripen further, I'm sure of it.

- Jeff

george

« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2013, 10:54:10 AM »
Funny how that color (or lack thereof) affects us, huh?  There have been times when I didn't even have to check the dates on the cheeses in the cave, I could tell which ones were made with winter milk just by the paleness in comparison to the other seasons.  And I could tell exactly when the grass started growing in spring that year by the gradiations in the aging "lineup".

I confess that many times I was evil and used the winter cheeses as gifts or barter and kept the "good stuff" for myself.   ;D

Hopes for the flavor of this one o' yours with a little more aging.   :)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2013, 04:33:12 PM »
Okay, I gave this cheese another month to develop and bring itself up. Alas, another stretch of time didn't help the cheese. It's very soft. It has a bit of a tang accompanied by some saltiness.

The cheese is edible but not particularly attractive in the sense that I can't stop eating it. With this cheese, I CAN stop eating it with no problem. It is quite far afield from the quality of the previous two efforts(#1, #2).

It does show some similarities to Laughing Cow as far as texture goes. Yes, this could be a spreadable cheese.

I'll be including this effort in the Failures thread. :(

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2013, 05:51:19 PM »
A decent candidate for fondue? maybe? or just something for a holiday cheese plate with crackers and other cheeses.
if your house is like mine, it is cheese and it will get ate ;)
as my wife tells me, if it aint in the garbage bin, it's just a different cheese type.
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/