Author Topic: Hello, I'm Darla  (Read 1492 times)

DarlaJean

Hello, I'm Darla
« on: October 11, 2013, 02:43:48 PM »
Hello all,

I'm Darla from the Seattle area of Washington and I just started making cheese. So far: 2 batches of Moz, 1 ricotta, and a farmhouse cheddar. I'm using the Ricki kits and after the hassle I had with pressing the cheddar I just ordered a dutch press - wanted to make one but our tools are in storage. I am passionate about self sustained living and cheese making is another spoke in the wheel of homemade goodness I've wanted to check off my 'need to learn this stuff while saving to buy our mini farm' list for awhile now. Unfortunately, as with so many things on my list, there's a learning curve and I don't know anyone who makes cheese so here I am. And now I am going to find a spot to post my question about my poor farmhouse cheddar that may have to be sacrificed to the compost.

jwalker

Re: Hello, I'm Darla
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2013, 02:52:22 PM »
Welcome Darla , you will find lots of good info here and people willing to share their knowledge.

As for a failed Farmhouse Cheddar , don't sweat it , I've found Farmhouse Cheddars to be very hit and miss , especially if it is made from the recipe in Ricki Carrolls book.

Spend the extra time and make a proper Cheddar , they always turn out better in my opinion.

Gouda as well , in my opinion is one of the easier cheeses to make , and usually turn out very edible if not wonderful.

Again , welcome.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2013, 03:00:02 PM »
Welcome Darla!!!  For easy cheeses that won't take a long aging before you can eat and assess I highly recommend making Caerphilly cheese.  There are three methods on this site.....click on the Caerphilly link in the list of cheeses in the right column.  The recipe by Gavin was one of my first cheeses...I think it's the last recipe on that page.  I think on his site he even has a video version of it.  His site is www.littlegreencheese.com
Good luck!!!!  A Caerphilly can be eaten at three weeks old or aged longer.  It can be coated with an olive oil and smoked paprika paste for a lovely variation.  Don't forget to have fun!!!   :D. And good luck on that mini farm!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2013, 03:03:50 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Darla. I'm a little further south of you, below Tacoma.

I have been fortunate in that there are a number of raw milk creameries in our area. I'm not sure about specifically around Seattle, but there's Dungeness Valley Creamery in Sequim, Cozy Vale Creamery in Tenino, and Pride and Joy Dairy in Granger.

They have all been excellent for my cheesemaking efforts. There may be more in your neck of the woods. Also, check for dairies that offer creamline milk (pasteurized but not homogenized).

Looking forward to following your cheesemaking adventures. Don't be afraid to ask questions. Use the SEARCH function...a lot of problems have been thoroughly discussed previously and there is a wealth of information just waiting to be discovered by you. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

DarlaJean

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2013, 03:10:19 PM »
Ya, jwalker, the instructions were not very detailed but the kit was available at my local coop and it was a comfortable place to start. I did alot of research online other that just reading the kit pamphlet but I just ended up more confused.
Tiarella, thanks for that - maybe I will try that one next...or a gouda or a jack...akkkk! So hard to decide.
Boofer, yes there are excellent local dairy choices here. I can pick something up at the coop or run out to a small dairy - many choices. No need for homogenized over pasteurized store milk.

alizah

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2013, 07:01:03 AM »
hello i   m alizah from london, nice to see u all