Author Topic: Off smell on day 4 air drying FH Cheddar  (Read 7205 times)

Chiizu

Re: Off smell on day 4 air drying FH Cheddar
« Reply #15 on: September 05, 2014, 11:40:28 AM »

Chiizu, why don't you start a new posting detailing the problem you're having. You can reference this posting so members have a clearer idea. If you try to get guidance through someone else's posting your request might get lost.

If you do start your own posting, please post details of your make, including pics if you have them.

To limit or eliminate linens, the humidity needs to be dropped. You can put the details of your affinage setup in your new posting.

-Boofer-

Ok thanks I'll get on that,

Some of the really great cheeses use B Linens deliberately. Of course, there are some cheese that you don't want it on and it is not ot everyone's taste, but it is not harmful to your health.

Could you expand on this Raw Prawn?  I've heard about Emmenthal does benefit. Which types would not benefit?

Offline Andrew Marshallsay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 115
  • Default personal text
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 12:34:11 PM »
When I say that there are some cheeses that you don't want it on, I think it depends what you are after. If you are trying to reproduce something that does not normally have it, that would be a problem. (e.g. if you want a cheddar that tastes like a cheddar or a brie that tastes like a brie.)
On the other hand, if you like to experiment, you might find that it could give you some surprising results. For example, the cheese which you have at the moment will probably turn out well in spite of the B Linens. In fact, it might even be improved by it, even though it may not be what you expected. Cheeses with BL often taste much better than they smell.
- Andrew

Chiizu

« Reply #17 on: September 07, 2014, 11:33:58 PM »
Thanks very much RP.  (nama ebi in the local lingo ;)  )