Author Topic: My 5th Wensleydale  (Read 9699 times)

JeffHamm

Re: My 5th Wensleydale
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2014, 07:37:40 AM »
The last wee wedge was eaten this evening.  This was good to the last crumb.  Will definitely try and repeat this outcome. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2014, 03:01:22 PM »
Yum! :P

Jeff, please remind me what the MW3 culture is comparable to. I'd like to try to clone a Wensleydale from your details.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JeffHamm

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2014, 06:53:42 PM »
Hi Boofer,

MW3 is a pretty standard cheddar type mix. 

Mad Millie’s MW3 : Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris and Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis.

I put in the buttermilk to add in a bit of buttery flavours as buttermilk is (usually) made from :
(LL) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis
(LLC) Lactococcus lactis subsp. cremoris
(LLD) Lactococcus lactis subsp. lactis biovar diacetylactis
(LMC) Leuconostoc mesenteroides subsp. cremoris

Which is the same list (but different strains and ratios I would expect) as Flora Danica.

Look forward to seeing your results.  I'm sure they will be impressive.

- Jeff

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
Hi Jeff , If I used FD would I have to add another meso?
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

JeffHamm

« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2014, 09:45:07 PM »
Hi H-K-J,

No, FD should work fine.  I've made cheddar types with just FD or just buttermilk and they turn out fine. 

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2014, 09:57:57 PM »
3 )   Cover, wrap in towels, and ripen 1 hour 20 minutes (time 7:47 - 9:10 finish temp: 31.0 C)
8 )   Hold temperature, stir gently for 1 hour 30 minutes (wait for acidity target; temp 31.0 C time 9:58 - 11:30 finish temp 31.8 C – raised temp as we went to keep it around 32 ish)
11 )   Cut into 5 cm cubes and keep curds warm 30 minutes (wait for acidity target if you have them) (time 12:30 – 1:00).
Just a few questions, Jeff. Do you have additional detail for these?

Thanks,

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2014, 01:59:27 AM »
Hi Boofer,

No, I don't have the acidity targets.  I adapted this make from a protocol described by a small UK dairy (they make Wensleydale from 1000 litres at a time). They give all the details, except the acidity target values.  Since I don't have a pH meter, I figured (hoped?) someone who does might be able to suggest appropriate values.  I leave those notes in from the original protocol as a reminder.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2014, 06:22:48 AM »
Hi Boofer,

No, I don't have the acidity targets.  I adapted this make from a protocol described by a small UK dairy (they make Wensleydale from 1000 litres at a time). They give all the details, except the acidity target values.  Since I don't have a pH meter, I figured (hoped?) someone who does might be able to suggest appropriate values.  I leave those notes in from the original protocol as a reminder.

- Jeff
Here are the parameters I used:
  • rennet pH = 6.55
  • drain pH = 6.35
  • milling/salting pH = 5.40
What about the "ripen 1 hour 20 minutes"? Did that also come from that protocol?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2014, 08:06:57 AM »
Hi Boofer,

Yes, the ripening for 1 hour 20 minutes is described in their blog (found here: http://ribblesdalecheese.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/how-to-make-wensleydale-cheese/ )

It's in the text box showing the "view down the vat" where they give the ripening details.

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2014, 03:39:18 PM »
Hi Boofer,

Yes, the ripening for 1 hour 20 minutes is described in their blog (found here: http://ribblesdalecheese.wordpress.com/2010/09/16/how-to-make-wensleydale-cheese/ )

It's in the text box showing the "view down the vat" where they give the ripening details.

- Jeff
I'll stick with the "wait till the pH drops to 6.5", then add the rennet.

My hat's off to you for "working without a net" (no pH meter) and achieving marvelous success with your cheeses. You are certainly closer to becoming historical cheese artisan qualified. ;)

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JeffHamm

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2014, 07:03:02 PM »
Hi Boofer,

I probably should get a pH meter.  I'm quite inclined to take measurements.  However, things are going pretty good at the moment so I don't feel any urgency (ignorance is bliss after all).  What I should do is learn the acidity tests that are based upon putting curd on a hot plate and measuring it's stretch.  That should be my next skill acquisition.  If acquired, that will increase my skill set to one!  The rest of my success can be attributed to my apprentices, Luck and Fluke! ;)

- Jeff 

GlabrousD

« Reply #26 on: May 28, 2014, 12:32:15 PM »
The rest of my success can be attributed to my apprentices, Luck and Fluke! ;)

I believe I'm well aquainted with the visually impaired brother of one of them "Sheer Blind Luck". Helped me out of many a scrape :)

Cheers, GD.

Rizzo

« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2014, 10:48:14 PM »
I,m having a go at this today.  Rennet will go in in about 15 minutes... Starter is a mix of MM Flora Danica and 704, Rennet good old Renco.  Fingers crossed. :)

Later...mmmm  must have done something wrong, curds won't form a cake at all after 90 minutes resting...keeps breaking up as I try to turn...looks like I will have to drain the whey as much as poss and then salt and press....Interestingly I noticed some almost buttery type traces on the surface of the milk during the make...  The results of this make promise to be interesting ! lol

Now in press with a final 42.5kg load on it.  Smells delicious.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2014, 08:47:27 PM by Rizzo »

Rizzo

« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2014, 01:13:33 AM »
Out of the press now. Great knit ! Smells wonderful. Messed up stage 10 (form cake)....managed this partially with cake breaking whilst turning, and omitted stage 11, but fingers crossed it will be a decent  cheese.  :-\

JeffHamm

« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 03:21:08 AM »
Hi Rizzo,

After draining the whey, put your follower, or some other type of board on the pile of curds and set a 2 - 3 litre jug of water on top.  That presses the curds a bit to help form the cake.  In a dairy, the weight of the curds is enough, but they're dealing with 1000 litre makes, so a bit more weight to their curds!  :)

Sounds like it all went well in the end though, but photos would help! ;)

- Jeff