Author Topic: Spherical Cheeses bombs etc  (Read 1794 times)

Kirkbybil

Spherical Cheeses bombs etc
« on: October 14, 2013, 10:19:45 PM »
I've seen quite a few artisan cheeses recently that are called 'bombs' which are spherical, approx 4" diameter, and also one that's well known in the UK called 'Bob's Knob' which is pyramid/pear shaped.  I really like the shape and size of these cheeses, which seem to be Lancashires, as they'd be great for gifts.  They are all quite heavily waxed and well matured.  I've attached a couple of pics of what I'm describing.

Does anyone know how they make this shape of cheese, how do they press them or is there some other way they make them?  They seem quite irregular so they don't seem to be moulded but I have no idea how they make them.

Any ideas anyone?

Pete S

Re: Spherical Cheeses bombs etc
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013, 12:46:39 AM »
  To me they look like they were simply hung in a cloth bag to drain
                                                                                                     Pete

Kirkbybil

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 08:13:30 AM »
So they don't need pressing?

Tomer1

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 05:40:56 PM »
Possibly custum molds?
a round bottom with smaller diameter round top and excess cheeses after pressing is cut.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2016, 05:53:41 PM »
If anyone on here is still around, and interested, you can make these by placing the curd in a hop/malt steeping bag.  You use these for making beer so go to your local beer supply or buy online.  Just fill with curd and hang to dry.  If you want it round just rotate the ball in the bag halfway through the drying process.  After they dry just wax them to age.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos