Author Topic: Did I ruin my Stilton attempt??  (Read 5550 times)

Geodyne

Re: Did I ruin my Stilton attempt??
« Reply #15 on: October 05, 2013, 07:53:07 PM »
It sounds to me like it's time for a light re-piercing. ;-)

Pete S

« Reply #16 on: October 05, 2013, 11:01:40 PM »
I like young blue cheese so I cut some off the end as soon as it shows blue mold.I put it back in the aging container till it is gone as I like strong cheese also.                                                      Pete

SpargePervert

« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2013, 08:14:23 PM »

Cut into it a few days ago.  Really nice.   ;D
Got a decent blue flavour to it, could do with a bit more, but really not bad!  A decent underlying mature cheddar-y flavour to it.   Cant believe how well its turned out,  thinking I should have left it a bit longer, but really impressed with how it is.   

I wrapped half of it in foil & put it back in the cave.  The other half in the fridge to work my way through... nom nom nom.

Got started on a 2 gallon batch last weekend, so at least theres going to be more on the way!  O0

Geodyne

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2013, 08:31:08 AM »
A cheese to you for that! It looks fabulous.

graysalchemy

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2013, 11:20:07 AM »
wow that is amazing Swifty. I wish mine had turned out like that.

looks like it would go well with a nice  pint  :D :D :D

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #20 on: October 17, 2013, 02:05:19 AM »
The rind looks so different from what my blues do, yet your paste and blue make's my mouth water :P
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

jwalker

« Reply #21 on: October 17, 2013, 01:02:34 PM »
Looking back at your original picture , I am amazed at the transformation , it was so chunky and airy to begin with , now it seems quite solid , a real good looking cheese there !

Did you do anything at all to the rind , it looks different than any I have done , did you eat the rind , Was it good ?

A cheese to you for that cheese !

SpargePervert

« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 02:48:51 PM »
nom nom nom.  I've got through half of it pretty quickly.  I can't beleive I made something so good!

Thanks for the cheeeses and kind words!

The other half is still wrapped in foil in my cave.  Will this age much now its been cut open?  I wonder whether its worth me moving it from the cave and into a fridge.

I was a bit worried,  the rind was nothing like pictures of other blues I was seeing on here!

jwalker, I had quite an aggressive smoothing session to remove as many of the chunky holes as I could.  This was hard work as the curds were pretty rubbery at that stage.

I  tried a bit of the rind,  it was ok actually,  a bit earthy/mushroomy.  Not offensive, but not massively appealling either, so for the most part I cut it off what I was eating.