Author Topic: First cheese, Fromage Blanc  (Read 1692 times)

wirebender

First cheese, Fromage Blanc
« on: March 05, 2009, 08:37:18 PM »
Hi, I have been lurking here for a few weeks, getting inspired by all the great cheeses everyone is making. Finally I ordered some fromage Blanc starter from New England Cheesemaking, made the first batch last week and am very impressed. I used a gallon of Alpenrose organic milk from Whole Foods Market, the label says it is pasteurized at the lowest legal temperature, which I assume is 145 F. They were out of whole milk, so I bought a gallon of 2% and a cup of heavy cream to boost the fat. Followed instructions in packet, except that instead of hanging the curds for 12 hours to drain they hung for about 36 hours in the garage, which is fortunately in the 50s, temperature wise. Anyway, the cheese turned out great, storebought cream cheese consistancy and very smooth texture, with a bit of a sour tang, excellent on toast with jelly!

Next cheese will be hopefully similar to this one http://www.capriolegoatcheese.com/CheesesChild.aspx?CheeseID=21, geo and other supplies are on the way....

Bob

"No dear, it's not another hobby, I'm just helping out with the cooking!" ;D

Tea

Re: First cheese, Fromage Blanc
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2009, 09:22:53 PM »
Welcome wirebender and congrats on the cheese.  Let us know how the next cheese turns out.

Cheese Head

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2009, 11:59:56 PM »
Howdy wirebender/Bob and welcome to the forum!

Congrats on your first cheese!

That Sofia cheese in your link looks very nice, love to see some pics and records.

Offline DeejayDebi

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 106
    • Deejays Smoke Pit and DSP Forums
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2009, 02:35:41 AM »
Welcome aboard Bob. Nice to have you first cheese come out good. Very encouraging. Keep going!