Author Topic: First Cantal - a bit craggy!  (Read 8000 times)

Kirkbybil

First Cantal - a bit craggy!
« on: October 16, 2013, 06:09:50 PM »
I bought 4 gallons of milk to make a cheese at the weekend without consulting the 'social calendar' so I suddenly had very limited time.

I saw a recipe for Cantal so, as the make time is only a few hours, that's what I went with.  Started at 16.30 on Sunday and, by 19.00, it was in the press!

It stayed there for 2x12 hours at around 7lbs and since then it has been under 75lbs for 3 days, turning every 24 hours.

I've just removed it from the press and it weighs in at 4.25lbs. It's 6" in diameter and 4" tall.  As you can see, it looks good except for the craggy exterior so I'm a bit worried as I seem to have a history of mould getting into cheese whenever there's a tiny crack so not sure how to stop mould getting a hold of this one?
I don't really want to wax it as this will slow down the ageing and I'll have to probably wait 6-8 months before it's ready.

Anyone have any suggestions as to how best to protect it.

High Altitude

Re: First Cantal - a bit craggy!
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 11:31:11 PM »
Cream wax (which has mold inhibitors), and then wax it within 6 weeks.  Sorry, not sure how else to keep the molds out of the crevices.

I know someone on here that will tell you to coat it in coconut oil, and that may well be an excellent option!!

Next time, press under warm whey and you'll have better knitting.

WovenMeadows

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 01:51:47 AM »
Is this where you pressed the wheel, then broke it up and reformed and pressed again? I haven't attempted Cantal knowing I would need so much pressure to get it to knit well. However, this could be a candidate for larding and bandaging, also something I haven't yet tried. The first coating of fat should fill in the cracks (unless I suppose they are really deep and narrow), then a layer of cloth and more fat. The mold is supposed to just grow on the surface, and gets peeled off with the cloth, but still ages more like a natural rind than a waxed wheel.

Kirkbybil

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 08:11:52 AM »
Thanks,  Yes, 12 hours then flip, then 12 hours then mill and re-press. Not sure about Larding, I use vegetarian rennet so not sure Lard would be an option - anyone tried butter just to fill in the cracks or does that just go rancid? 

WovenMeadows

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 12:50:23 PM »
I didn't mean to imply you had to use (pork) lard - while the technique is called larding, in theory any solid-at-room-temp fat should work - butter, veg shortening, coconut or palm oil, etc.

Kirkbybil

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 01:38:02 PM »
Sorry, misunderstood - Here in the UK Lard is usually pig fat that Fish and chips get fried in and sometimes leaves an unpleasant coating on your mouth!!

If I 'spread' butter on the outside, and use it like a filler paste, will that solidify and become part of the cheese? Do I do it now, or wait until the cheese dries?

Kirkbybil

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2013, 06:32:04 PM »
I read a few articles and the wiki and decided to bandage it with Ghee.  Very messy!!

I'll post this in a new thread as well with more detail as someone, somewhere may find it useful.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 12:15:16 AM »
I'm puzzled why you'd start another thread on the same cheese subject. Why not port everything over to this thread and kill the second one? ???

Tracking progress/updates on a subject via two threads is difficult. :-\

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Kirkbybil

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »
Apologies, I'm still new to posting here but that makes sense. I killed the other one!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2013, 04:18:05 PM »
That's great! Thanks.  :)

I know there has been some discussion about bandaging and whether to use lard, butter, or ghee. I think you are one of the few that has tried ghee. Good to have your experience as a datapoint.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Kirkbybil

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2013, 05:32:08 PM »
Okay, I'll update the thread as it matures.

I needed something that would fill the cracks, didn't want animal fat and the Wiki said that ghee didn't go rancid as quickly as butter which is why I chose it.

My wife made the Ghee, which turned out brown. I didn't know it should be 'golden' so I used it anyway but I did taste it and it didn't seem burned so fingers crossed.

It has set solid in the cave at around 55 degrees so I'll sit back and wait for the mould to form.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 01:56:07 PM »
Whether it works out or not, one thing is certain. You'll be better acquainted with what works and what doesn't.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

Offline JayW

• Young Cheese
  • Cheeses: 6
  • Default personal text
    • cheesemaking.com
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013, 08:50:33 PM »
Thanks,  Yes, 12 hours then flip, then 12 hours then mill and re-press. Not sure about Larding, I use vegetarian rennet so not sure Lard would be an option - anyone tried butter just to fill in the cracks or does that just go rancid?

Actually I spent  about 10 days in Salers (same cheese) last year visiting several traditional producers and they do the press and and remill about 8-12 times to really dry out the curds since there is really no cooking temp or time involved.
The milk comes into the cheeseroom in big wooden vats so no chance to reheat above the slightly less than cow temp that they start with. This is how they dry it out over several hours as the acid develops.
This is why you need the higher weight and longer time to press. They don't even mold it until the next day. The rind should be tight and just dry brushing for forming the rind.
Jim Wallace .. the "Tech Guy" at www.cheesemaking.com
                    ...... current workshops are online and filling up quickly now! http://www.cheesemaking.com/JimW.html

Kirkbybil

« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2013, 02:01:33 PM »
Thanks Jay, good to know how its really made - I'm just going to have to cross my fingers and see how it turns out. it's sat in my cave, no mould yet but maybe a little early.

Great post from Boofer by the way - I'm amazed seeing what can go wrong. I must be incredibly lucky, I never even thought about making cheese until Feb this year and, apart from my first three attempts (trad cheddar, farm cheddar and Gouda, which all looked okay but tasted disgusting) they have all turned out very well. Apart from chèvre and other softs, I've made Colby, caerphilly, Lancashire, two lots of fourme d'ambert, manchego, a parm and to everyone's amazement, no more so than my own, they all tasted great. I have another parm, two emmentals, two goudas and the cantal in the cave for Xmas so I'm hoping these turn as as well as the others.

I can't claim to have a clue what I'm doing other than following recipes very carefully, so maybe that's the secret!

As I'm posting this I'm trying to make another four 1lb fourme d'ambert for the Xmas cheesefest (pic attached) so go to get back to my stirring!
« Last Edit: October 27, 2013, 01:42:23 PM by Kirkbybil »

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 12:00:54 AM »
You're quite the busy gentleman. :)

When they have reached a certain ripened point, would you please post pics of your Fourme d'Ambert? Could you also give us your (and your audience's) opinions at that point?

I can't claim to have a clue what I'm doing other than following recipes very carefully, so maybe that's the secret!
Attention to detail (including note-taking), repetition, sanitation...I'm sure you're observing these and other factors to achieve success.

Reading your list of cheese makes, it's appears that your desire to attempt many different cheese styles mirrors my own. 8)

Thanks,

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!