Author Topic: Another sort of Chevrotin  (Read 1215 times)

Spellogue

Another sort of Chevrotin
« on: January 20, 2014, 10:30:17 PM »
This was, as I recall, the last aged cheese I made before drying off my goats last year.   It is I suppose a chevrotin approximation of sorts.  The cheese is now 4 months old and looking pretty, so I suppose it's time to cut one. 

Here are my make notes

CA139b. 9/19/13
Another sort of Chevrotin

2 gallons raw goat milk 86F
1/8 tsp aroma B
1/16 tsp mm100
1/16 tsp PLA.   
11:27 am.  Raise to 92F over 20 min.
1/32 tsp lamb lipase maintain temp
12:50 1/32,tsp calf rennet   
  Floc 12:56.   6 min
Floc multiplier x3= 18. 1:14am
Curd , Cut into 1/4 inch dice.  Heal 5 min.  Stir 5 min. Curd will get smaller, cottage cheesey.
Ladle curd into 2 unlined cam molds .  Drain 18 hrs. Placed in saturated brine for 4 hrs.
Dried 24 hours. Cheese surface still quite moist.  Moved to small loosely covered ripening container in cool fridge.
9/25 commenced washing w/ 1/4 c. 3% brine with 2 tbsp bourbon and a pinch of ARN.
10/6. No schmier yet.  inclusions are beginning to smoothe out. Starting to smell a little bacony.
1/5/14. Colored up nicely.  Rind becoming slightly less tacky, but still very delicate.

This cheese is still a blonde color.  Seems peculiar to me that the rind doesn't show any orangey-brown overtones from the ARN in the washing medium.  Perhaps the BL strains from the PLA  in the vat inoculation won out.
If it seems a little young yet I can leave the second one to age further.

Spellogue

Re: Another sort of Chevrotin
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2014, 02:09:37 AM »
1/20/14. Cut and tasted, a tad salty and rather spicy, but overall quite nice.  Pâté is a balance of supple crumbliness exhibiting a good number of mechanical holes.  A creamy yet toothy texture with a powdery mouthfeel.  The rind is still quite sticky.  Sharp and meaty on the attack, the spicy flavors hitting the back of the palate on the lingering finish are reminiscent of a Serrano pepper.