Author Topic: "Fake" Port Salut  (Read 6474 times)

High Altitude

"Fake" Port Salut
« on: October 16, 2013, 11:18:35 PM »
Made Karlin's recipe for Port Salut (second time) but could not get the pretty red b. linens I was hoping for, either time.  I have since purchased the SR3 in hopes that its promise of a "bright orange" will bring some desired colors to my next cheese...hopefully a Taleggio :-).

So you'll see the nasty dark molds that formed...eww!  I washed with b. linens for double the time called for (hoping for "red" coloring), but it only brought on even more dark molds :-(.  I have learned since from someone (really really cheese-smart) on this forum that that is NOT the thing to do.  Then washed with simple brine 2-3 times per week until today, at 7 weeks old.  Supposedly, it was "ready-to-eat" 2 weeks ago (according to recipe anyway), but is just now feeling softer like it should, so took it out and cleaned it up...took a whopping 30 minutes with a vinegar/salt wash and heavy scrubbing with soaked cheesecloth.

I hated to have another "white" "Port Salut" which I will be serving to guests at Thanksgiving, so decided to fake it with an annatto wash (copying another cheese-smart guru on the forum ;-).  Started out very light (adding some drops to a simple brine), but then got more aggressive and WOW, it's really orange! 

I'm letting it dry and then will bag it and hope for the best for Thanksgiving Day!

mjr522

Re: "Fake" Port Salut
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2013, 01:22:48 AM »
Faking is a good solution when things aren't going as planned.  I think it looks great!

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2013, 01:55:34 AM »
Great save!!

Spellogue

« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2013, 02:47:03 AM »
Wow, what a transformation.  Very pretty.  Sounds like a good plan to keep it pristine looking as it finishes aging.

That annatto painting trick is, I believe, how most mass-produced American 'Munsters' are made.  I would expect your Port Salut will have gained at least some flavor profile benefit from your b.l. washing process though.

Can't wait to hear about the tasting. It's sure to look stunning on the plate.

High Altitude

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2013, 07:52:07 PM »
Thanks guys!  And surely you're right about it gaining some benefit from the b.l. washing, Spellogue :-).

I will post pics (and tasting notes) as soon as I've opened and served it on the Thanksgiving Day cheese platter!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2013, 05:18:07 PM »
...hopefully a Taleggio :-).

more dark molds :-(.

guru on the forum ;-).
You can use the emoticon icons :) instead of typing them :-) to make your life a little easier.  A)

I used straight annatto to color the rind of my Saint Paulin #1 and conform more to the cheese style.

From igourmet.com cheese encyclopedia:
"Saint Paulin: St. Paulin (also known as Port Salut, a licensed name) is a mild and very pleasing dessert or table cheese originally made by Trappist Monks. St. Paulin is creamy and butter-like, yet firm enough for slicing. Genuine Port Salut has an edible, orange rind. However, beware imitations that use a plastic, inedible rind. St. Paulin goes well with fruit and light wine."

This is one of my favorite cheeses to make. Very nice little cheese. Fairly easy to make.

Nice cleanup job. A cheese for that effort.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

george

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2013, 10:36:41 AM »
Boofer, thank you - I didn't realize Saint Paulin and Port Salut were one and the same.  Learned my first new thing for the day!

I'm getting to the point where I think I'm going to have to force a cheese make - living room full of boxes and bags be danged!  It's been 5 months now, and the withdrawal might kill me first ...  ;D

High Altitude

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 04:58:46 PM »
Thanks Boofer!  I didn't realize those 2 cheeses were one in the same (even though I have been following your St. Paulin make recently).  I KNOW I can use the emodicons, and usually do  :P.  You're such a teacher...but we (usually) love that about you  ;D!

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2013, 04:14:44 PM »
You're such a teacher...but we (usually) love that about you  ;D!
Sorry, I'm figuratively biting my tongue a lot of the time and have had to be restrained from typing some of the time. Every so often I'm allowed to have the manacles removed from my wrists and I'm afraid I venture into the overly helpful category. ::)

Perhaps I'm channeling some teacher in a past life. A)

Hi george! Good to see you're hanging in there!

-Boofer-

Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

High Altitude

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:15:15 AM »
Don't restrain Boof!  We need the teachings of a cheese-God like you!  A)

High Altitude

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 06:43:11 PM »
Opened my fake (annatto stained) Port Salut for the Thanksgiving Day crowd, and was very pleased with the result.  It was creamy and smooth, with a mild port salut taste.  Sliced beautifully too  :D.

Had to remove the stained exterior layer because that did have a rather unpleasant mold taste (from the early attempt at a natural rind).  I would make this again, for sure, but stain and bag after a couple weeks ripening with the b-linens (since they didn't color the cheese at all).