Author Topic: The Limburger Regrets  (Read 10596 times)

JimSteel

The Limburger Regrets
« on: October 18, 2013, 11:25:46 AM »
Okay, I wasn't too familiar with Limburger, I just figured it was one of those many washed rind cheeses out there.  Just a stinky cheese, no big deal.  Well, I was flipping through my recipes and came across Limburger and Muenster, both seemed easy enough to make and I couldn't quite decide.  I texted my wife and asked her which.  Her response was "Limburger, it sounds like it wouldn't smell as bad".

So there we have it, I got right to it and made the cheese.  While it was draining out in the press I decided to do some reading...... Oh crap.  Turns out I'm making THE stinky cheese of some repute.

I've had this guy in the cave for a few days now, going to start washing the rind today since it has stopped leaking whey.

By day two the cheese already smelled strongly.  Stronger than the Brick that I made last year when it was at its aromatic peak.

So, here we go.  Let's see if I can get some colour on this guy without lowering the resale value of my house.

Digitalsmgital

Re: The Limburger Regrets
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 12:37:22 PM »
yeah, it has a reputation for entering the room 20 minutes before it arrives, same as me, but with more character. You are gonna like it! (the house needed repainting anyways, right?)

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2013, 04:55:41 PM »
I decided to do some reading...... Oh crap.  Turns out I'm making THE stinky cheese of some repute.
Here is an early retailed report from the Limburger Front Lines. Enjoy! ;D

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Smurfmacaw

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2013, 03:33:42 AM »
Hilarious link.  My Chevrotin is right up there but I only wish I had the humor he does.

linuxboy

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2013, 03:45:16 AM »
I regret nothing!

When my wife travels, I often buy a durian and eat it all.

JimSteel

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2013, 06:17:11 PM »
Great link Boofer.  Makes me want to go through said rite of passage myself.  After I try this cheese out (which will be quite young I think) I'll probably go buy some real stuff and see how they compare.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2013, 04:19:56 PM »
When my wife travels, I often buy a durian and eat it all.
Brave soul. ::)  :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

JimSteel

« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2013, 12:48:11 AM »
Update - started washing to develop the schmear.  Will post pictures when colour starts to form.  Interestingly enough, stench has diminished.  I think it correlates to the whey not leaking out anymore.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2013, 11:47:19 AM »
Update - started washing to develop the schmear.  Will post pictures when colour starts to form.  Interestingly enough, stench has diminished.  I think it correlates to the whey not leaking out anymore.

Righto!  I think it wants to hold in all that stink until you're eating it!  No sense wasting the stink by releasing it into the air when it can lie in wait for your taste buds, eh?   :P

linuxboy

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2013, 12:13:28 PM »

Righto!  I think it wants to hold in all that stink until you're eating it!  No sense wasting the stink by releasing it into the air when it can lie in wait for your taste buds, eh?   :P

I have this vision of microbes with a cache of olfactory weapons lying in wait. "he's biting in people, go, go, GO!"

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2013, 12:17:46 PM »

I have this vision of microbes with a cache of olfactory weapons lying in wait. "he's biting in people, go, go, GO!"

And are the generals standing back rubbing their little hands together in glee as they watch the retching start?

linuxboy

« Reply #11 on: October 21, 2013, 02:23:30 PM »
Yes, with binoculars.

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #12 on: October 21, 2013, 02:39:19 PM »
Yes, with binoculars.

and safety glasses to protect their eyes in case the retching is projectile.    :o

JimSteel

« Reply #13 on: October 27, 2013, 09:24:46 PM »
Wow, you guys are naturals at hijacking threads.  In any case, you made me laugh.

New Update: Having issues.  As you can see in the picture below, My Limburger has started forming a rind of.... some kind.  It's gotten  slight colour to it but also had some fuzz(very little) once or  twice, which I just washed over.  How can I describe this... it's like a wrapped a strand of tape around the circumference of the disk.  This "rind" moves fairly freely and holds a very smells liquid between it and the solid cheese.  Enough in some places that if I push on the rind, white goo oozes up out of the crack.

What do I do?  Keep washing the weird rind and hope it fuses back into the mass?  Take the rind off(which would be extremely easy) and start anew on the sides?

What you might need to know:
Washing with 3% salt water solution.
Went for a VERY heavy schmear.  A little too heavy I think.
keeping it roughly at 10 degrees Celsius, which is what the book recommends.
Kept in a sealed container in my cave(no way I'm leaving this thing out) so humidity can't be altered, and it quite high. (book says 90-95 though, so i think that's okay)

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2013, 11:11:11 PM »
Wow, you guys are naturals at hijacking threads.  In any case, you made me laugh.

Hope you didn't mind and glad you laughed!  I do enjoy reading about your brave experiment!