Author Topic: The Limburger Regrets  (Read 10595 times)

JeffHamm

Re: The Limburger Regrets
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2013, 11:37:08 PM »
So, how is this coming along?  Just checking because I'm worried about your safety?

- Jeff

JimSteel

« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2013, 01:00:22 PM »
Well Jeff, I'm kind of worried too.  The cheese cracked again on the edge and is leaking, so I just let it go.  Flipping and occasionally washing, but not giving it too much attention.  What is really disconcerting is the smell of rubber that it is emitting.  Very strange.... definitely unappetizing... kind of like tires on a warm summer day.  My brother told me I should call it "the good year"

I'm supposed to try it next week with my friend who committed to more than he bargained for.  We'll see how that goes.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #32 on: November 20, 2013, 02:10:53 PM »
Wow, what a true friend!  ???

Curious to see how this adventure turns out.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

jwalker

« Reply #33 on: November 20, 2013, 03:13:03 PM »
Well Jeff, I'm kind of worried too.  The cheese cracked again on the edge and is leaking, so I just let it go.  Flipping and occasionally washing, but not giving it too much attention.  What is really disconcerting is the smell of rubber that it is emitting.  Very strange.... definitely unappetizing... kind of like tires on a warm summer day.  My brother told me I should call it "the good year"

I'm supposed to try it next week with my friend who committed to more than he bargained for.  We'll see how that goes.

Now that's real commitment to cheese making :o , I probably would have turfed it by now.

BTW , my kids used to call Kraft Singles "rubber" cheese , but it seems you may have created the first true "rubber cheese". ;D

It will be interesting to hear if it tastes like rubber as well.

"Tires on a warm day"............................now just what wine would you pair that with ? ;D ;D ;D

JeffHamm

« Reply #34 on: November 20, 2013, 05:05:06 PM »

"Tires on a warm day"............................now just what wine would you pair that with ? ;D ;D ;D

Hermits would be a good choice.

- Jeff

linuxboy

« Reply #35 on: November 20, 2013, 05:39:10 PM »
Why a smoke-tainted jammy Syrah, of course.

FRANCOIS

« Reply #36 on: November 20, 2013, 07:59:40 PM »
The problem is your geo growth.  It looks like geo 17 to me actually.  Once that stuff gets a hold, you'll never get a good b linen rind.  I really hate that culture, I don't understand why anyone uses it.  It's foul tasting, foul smelling and easily gets out of hand. 

JimSteel

« Reply #37 on: November 20, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
Francois, I have never made a bloomy rind in my life, nor do I have the specimens to innoculate one.  In fact, while I was making this cheese, I had another literally right beside it in my cave(in it's own container) and it's rind is glorious.  I was even washing them with the same brine.  Weird how these things turn out, eh?

The intent is to place this cheese between two slices of dark rye, with a generous slice of formidable onion.  It is to be paired with some variety of strong german beer (leaving that up to him).  We figure we should probably get a two-four and drink it in it's entirety before attempting this cheese...

JimSteel

« Reply #38 on: November 28, 2013, 03:21:08 AM »
The day had finally come.  I was so fed up with that smell in the cold room that Smythe and I set a date and committed to eating a Limburger sandwich.  That date was yesterday, November 26, 2013.

It was a long (see: short) journey that I have traveled with this cheese and from it's birth to consumption there were many ups and downs as cataloged in this post.

I dug the ripening container out of the cellar and placed it in front of Smythe, who cocked his head back, surprised by the stench.  "That's really ripe," he sighed.  If only we had known what true evil lay beneath the rind.  When I peeled... yes peeled off the rind, this nasty, sour foot smell permeated the air.  Not a room clearing smell, but strong enough to make me queasy.  My cheese wasn't fully ripened, the centre was still a bit 'curd-like' and not smooth through and through.  The short aging time, along with the improper ripening techniques resulted in what I assume was a relatively mild Limburger (see: still quite potent).

The sandwiches were made on a slice of rye with some raw, sliced onions.  It took us a good 15 minutes before we built up the courage to try the beasts that lay before us, but we had dark beer at the ready in any case.  We took a bite.  It was strong.  I almost cried.  Pure onions.  Too many onions.

So we fried the onions up and tried again.  This time was a much more complete experience, especially if you were lucky enough to get a big wad of cheese in your bite.  Any time you breathed in, it felt like you were inhaling old running shoes.  Strangely enough, with a few swigs of dark beer, the combo was actually...... good.  The cheese was strong, but I didn't over do it, and the balance of the three flavours was perfect.

We each made a second sandwich and popped open another beer.  That's saying something.  I haven't worked up the nerve to try this baby plain yet, but I don't think I want to.  2/3 of the wheel is still sitting in my fridge.  Fortunately, when I told my brother I have some Limburger cheese for him to try this weekend, he said it would be cool.  I don't think he knows what Limburger is... so I should have some fun..

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #39 on: November 28, 2013, 02:21:16 PM »
Jim a cheese to you ( I would give your friend a cheese also but) for your bravery and intestinal fortitude :o
A friend of mine asked me if I would make him a Limburger, after fallowing this thread I told him to make it himself :P
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2013, 04:00:18 PM »
What a roller-coaster ride this thread was! At least no one was hurt.

A nice glass of Perelli-Minetti would seem apropos.

JeffHamm

« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2013, 05:24:57 PM »
Hi Jim,

A cheese to you!  Not only did you survive, the cheese looks (note difference between looking and smelling) really good.  Glad to hear that the sandwiches were edible.  So, have you any ideas for how to improve the procedure for your next make? :)

- Jeff

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #42 on: November 29, 2013, 03:38:05 PM »
Ah, everything turned out just wonderful in the end.... ;)

A cheese to you for wrapping this story up (with pictures) and putting a bow on it. Good job.

Now, Jim, let's hear about when the cheese ripened fully and you gorged yourself on this cheese's awesomeness. :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!

JimSteel

« Reply #43 on: November 30, 2013, 02:27:30 AM »
Hi Jim,

A cheese to you!  Not only did you survive, the cheese looks (note difference between looking and smelling) really good.  Glad to hear that the sandwiches were edible.  So, have you any ideas for how to improve the procedure for your next make? :)

- Jeff

Jeff, I have but one idea on how to improve my next make.  That is, naturally, not to make it at all.  The quest did not come without a few valuable insights though.  Much of what I've learned can be applied to my future washed rinds and it's nice to know that I can make a nice novelty cheese, if the need arises.

Thanks for the cheeses everyone :)  (Maybe I'll seal up a small piece just for you Boof ;) )

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #44 on: November 30, 2013, 05:24:29 PM »
Thanks for the cheeses everyone :)  (Maybe I'll seal up a small piece just for you Boof ;) )
Sweet! :P

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!