Author Topic: Gouda recipes... adjusting quantities  (Read 1919 times)

bgreen

Gouda recipes... adjusting quantities
« on: November 05, 2013, 04:53:05 AM »
Hi

I was wanting to make another Gouda using this recipe....

http://wacheese.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=81:gouda-washed-curd-howto&catid=43:moderate-cook-temp&Itemid=66

Instead of the quantity of milk listed... about 12 litres, i was wanting to increase to 16 litres.... what can i say i like Gouda!

Is it a simple matter of increasing proportionally:

The amount of culture... i use a mother culture
The amount of rennet
And a proportionate increase in the amount of water in washing the curd.

Would that work or am i over simplifying things... thanks for your help.

Cheers Bruce

Tomer1

Re: Gouda recipes... adjusting quantities
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2013, 08:48:12 AM »
Yeah its that simple, just calculate your culture to 1.8-2% bulk.  (% of volum of milk)
Obviously more rennet and water for washing. (I go by about 20% volume of whey\milk)

jwalker

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2013, 02:28:37 PM »
Gouda is my all time favorite , I do them regularly.

For 4 gallons (16l) , I use 1/4 tsp meso and FD.

I use rennet tablets , 1/2 tablet works fine for 4 gallons.

After cutting and washing curds , I put curds in mold and put it back in the whey and press under whey.

Make sure to add the calcium chloride and vinegar to the brine , the vinegar really sets up the rind nicely so the cheese will hold its shape later , and dries it nicely for coating (I coat mine with PVA).

That works for me.

bgreen

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2013, 02:37:43 AM »
Hi JWalker

Thanks for the useful info and tips... it is nice to know it is that straightforward.

Cheers Bruce

cowboycheese

« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
Interesting - I just followed that recipe last Saturday and adjusted for 5 gallons + the standard amount of cacl2. Thanks Pav for your hard work on that website and concise instructions with ph markers. I used just shy of double or 1/4 tea the MM100 and FD and stuck to 3/4 tea of my liquid super-rennet from Yoav's Artisan Geek shop (shameless plug). Yoav's rennet acts very fast on the Cozy Cow NH milk I get so I tend to use about 1/2 the recipe amount in order to get a floc time I can work with - something a bit more than "in the blink of an eye". Somewhere on someone's signature here was a quote about adding too much rennet and wanting to kill something... If you plan on washing out about 20% of the whey, then you will be OK. Mine turned out well - still drying. I'll take pics this evening, cream coat and make a posting asap.