beer and cheese

Started by hoeklijn, October 20, 2013, 09:43:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hoeklijn

Yesterday it was time for an experiment again: I made two Gouda's, 1 kilo each, following the normal recipe, but I added 2 spoons of salt to the curd before pressing. After pressing one of them was put in a special dark beer that is traditionally made in autumn (called bock-beer) and one in so called Krieken-beer, which is a red beer flavoured with cherries. They will stay there for at least 24 hours.
And I made 2 lovely labels for them:

jwalker

Right on Herman , I was wondering myself about adding salt to a Gouda instead of brining , it will be interesting to see how yours turn out.

Nice labels too by the way , they look very professional.

I made a four pound Gouda yesterday , and will be making another today.

Show us some photos of these soon.

hoeklijn

Quickly some images:
In the bock-beer

In the "Krieken-beer

"Just out of the beer

Bock weighting 1244 gram

Kriek weighting 1359 gram

JimSteel

The Goudse Kriek looks amazing.  I wonder how far the cherry colour permeated into the paste.  Good luck with these!

Tomer1

Quotebut I added 2 spoons of salt to the curd before pressing.
That could slow down acidification.

A better idea is press as usuall and make a beer-brine. if you want more beer flavor then do another beer soak with 2% so not to leach salt from the cheese.  remember to add calcium.

Pete S

I thought that part of the reason for salting was to slow down acidification      Pete

hoeklijn

Quote from: Tomer1 on October 21, 2013, 07:10:40 PM
Quotebut I added 2 spoons of salt to the curd before pressing.
That could slow down acidification.

A better idea is press as usuall and make a beer-brine. if you want more beer flavor then do another beer soak with 2% so not to leach salt from the cheese.  remember to add calcium.

I know. Made Cabra al Vino both ways. But I like the Cabra's that are "curd salted" better than the ones that are "wine brined" , so I decided to try the same with beer.
Both are smelling delicious so far...

Pete S

I know. Made Cabra al Vino both ways. But I like the Cabra's that are "curd salted" better than the ones that are "wine brined" , so I decided to try the same with beer.
[/quote]

What is the difference in the cheese if you salt the curd rather than brine it later.  I have asked this in another topic that I have posted yesterday. ( in questions )   Pete

Tomer1

iS
Quote from: hoeklijn on October 22, 2013, 06:38:22 AM

Is it possible that the curd salted has higher pH (which can be a risk of late acidification\bloating))?   

Boofer

Oh, Herman...these Goudas look great!  :D

I'll be very curious to see the rind development. No, wait...they'll be cream-coated, right?

I'd also like to hear what the beer contributes to the cheese overall: flavor, texture, smell.

How long to age?

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

hoeklijn

Quote from: Pete S on October 22, 2013, 07:20:52 AM
  What is the difference in the cheese if you salt the curd rather than brine it later.  I have asked this in another topic that I have posted yesterday. ( in questions )   Pete
I found it hard to control the balance between wine and salt. The cheese from the wine-brine was too salty and did not have so much wine in flavour and smell. Curd salted cheese was much much better, so why continue experimenting with a wine-brine... Didn't experience problems with acidity.
Had the same source for the goat milk and followed about the same recipe...

hoeklijn

Quote from: Boofer on October 22, 2013, 01:26:28 PM
Oh, Herman...these Goudas look great!  :D

I'll be very curious to see the rind development. No, wait...they'll be cream-coated, right?

I'd also like to hear what the beer contributes to the cheese overall: flavor, texture, smell.

How long to age?

-Boofer-

Duh, of course they will be cream-coated, they are Gouda's.
We only sell waxed Gouda's for a lot of money to American tourists  >:D
I think they wil age about 6 to 9 weeks....

hoeklijn

Ok, and here they are, coated and ready, with some adjusments to the labels...

Geodyne

The labels look just fabulous, Herman!

Boofer

Very professional, Herman!

Perhaps that's what's missing in my cheeses...pretty labels. ;)

A cheese to you for dressing up a couple of already classy cheeses.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.