Author Topic: Interested in giving some classes  (Read 2295 times)

Alpkäserei

Interested in giving some classes
« on: October 21, 2013, 11:48:00 PM »
Not sure which is the best forum to put this, so I've put it here in the general discussion, moderators feel free to move if you think of a more appropriate place...

I'm looking to take a little break from the business building I'm in the middle of right now, and while I'm at it raise a bit of money for my efforts.

I'd like to offer some teaching and instruction in Alpine cheesemaking,I suppose those of you who are regular to this forum know my qualifications and experience so I won't go into that here...

ANYWAY,

seeing as how I only have a half-completed facility at this time, I'd like to do a bit of traveling. I'm looking for established facilities that would be interested either in having me come by and teach their cheesemakers, or else hosting classes open to the public.

This winter would be a good time for me to do this, and it would be helpful to me as it would allow me to raise funds for my business during a time when I can't really do a whole lot of work anyway.

mjr522

Re: Interested in giving some classes
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 03:51:21 AM »
It would be great if we could get you to come here to the front range in Colorado.  I don't know how many people would be able to come... I'll see if I can find anyone else that would be interested.  I know the owner of a sheep dairy/creamery not far from here that has mentioned being willing to let people use his facility.  There's also a cheese shop in Denver that hosts trips and really basic classes (cheese tasting and direct acid cheese classes) that might be able to identify people interested in coming.  I'm probably dreaming, but I'll let you know what I can find.

What are you thinking as far as pricing goes?  (Or, in other words, how much would you have to make to be willing to travel?)

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 05:48:32 PM »
What about online classes, plus including a web chat such as Google+ Hangouts? Seems like you could get more people than in an actual classroom.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2013, 04:54:34 PM »
When travelling a distance, I would need enough money to cover my expenses -travel, lodging, food, etc. and then enough to make it worthwhile. But at the same time, I want to make it fair and worthwhile for those putting it on. So I'll say here essentially what I have told others who have inquired privately. I'll work with those putting this on to come to an suitable agreement. That is, let's see how many people you can get interested and see how much revenue you can get, and I'll try to work out a price that still leaves the hosts some income for their efforts as well.

Aince I've never travelled like this, it's hard to pin it down.
I've hosted workshops here at home -these building courses- and my rate has always fallen in the $100-$150 per day range per person, so you can use that as a metric for figuring things out.

As for online media, unfortunately this is not something we can do. There is so much here that demands you be there in person to see it and experience it. Although I would hope to make some online media eventually, you just can't learn it all without having someone there in the flesh to show you the little details.

Alpkäserei

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2013, 04:26:25 PM »
I am working out a fee schedule and will try and have it available later. I am working out a system by the session or class. That is, a workshop/course is broken down into a number of sessions (which makes it convenient for those who wish to attend) and pay rate is by the session (which makes accounting for me simpler, especially if people are there for not all of the sessions)

sessions would break down by topic

I won't post fee information here publicly, but I would give it to any who request it personally. I will put up a sample schedule however.

frankwall

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2013, 09:42:33 AM »
Online classes might really work well! Great idea by the way  :)

Alpkäserei

« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2013, 09:48:19 PM »
I'm thinking about creating some ebooks and offering them for sale at this point. What would the level of interest be in purchasing an ebook, with pictures and diagrams, detailing cheese recipes and procedures?

I might also create some videos -basic free youtube content and paid downloads with in depth info, but these would have to wait until I have my facilities up and running. Beyond that, live streaming/skype/ etc is beyond the scope of what I really want to be doing.

dthelmers

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2013, 09:50:06 PM »
I would buy any ebook you published. Your posts have been an education.