Author Topic: Small Cutting Boards  (Read 2439 times)

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
Small Cutting Boards
« on: December 19, 2012, 02:31:26 AM »
Not sure if everyone has seen, or purchased, these but I found them at Wal-Mart for $2.25 USD each.  Great for small brie molds.
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
Re: Small Cutting Boards
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2012, 07:09:45 AM »
Yes, but put some mesh between the mold and the cutting board.  I did get about 5 of those but haven't ended up using them much.  I use the new stiffer mesh I got from Yoav and just have that over a rack positioned over a pan.  Oh, and Linuxboy is right....Yoav (iratherfly) has all those molds you were looking at....at least I'm pretty sure he has all of those.

Offline Al Lewis

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 179
    • Lou's Food & Drink
« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2012, 03:16:45 PM »
I have the mesh for each one Tiarella but didn't bother to get it for the picture. LOL  It will certainly be there when I actually make cheese though. ;D
Making the World a Safer Place, One Cheese at a Time! My Food Blog and Videos

Val

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 04:37:46 PM »
I bought some of those to make followers for my cheese press.

You mention mesh..... I saw this and was wondering if it is suitable for use in drying cheese so that it gets air on the bottom.  I would turn it also but thought this would help in even drying.  http://shop.hobbylobby.com/products/9-1/2-round-plastic-canvas-shape-746990/

Val

gsager18

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 03:29:53 AM »
I bought some of those to make followers for my cheese press.

I've done that (not with this specific product, but with similar cheap plastic cutting boards) and they seem to work well for me. I actually made my entire press out of something like this, too. I took 2 larger (14-inch or so) cheap plastic cutting boards and drilled 1/2-inch holes in each corner. Then I got 4 very long 1/2-inch diameter bolts and some nuts that fit them. I put the bolts through the holes in the bottom board, put the cheese mold on top of that board, and put the other board on top, lining up the bolts with the holes in the top board. Then I put on the nuts just to keep the top board relatively level once the weight is added, and to keep the weight from falling off when my back is turned. Then I just stack weight (10-lb bricks) on top as needed.
The only problem I have with them is that they bend if i decide to tighten the nuts to add additional pressure. It's not really much of a problem, though. For a $7 cheese, I can't complain.

As for the mesh, I use needlepoint mats, which look pretty similar to the thing you found. When I'm making Camembert, I also use a piece of a big fluorescent light screen thing* between the cutting board / flat surface and the needlepoint mat, just to allow for even more space for drainage.

*Not this but something like it: http://www.homedepot.com/p/Unbranded-24-in-x-48-in-White-Egg-Crate-Lighting-Panel-5-Pack-LP2448EGG-5/202653781?cm_mmc=shopping-_-googleads-_-pla-_-202653781&skwcid&kwd=&ci_sku=202653781&ci_kw=&ci_gpa=pla&ci_src=17588969#.UmdCXhAYg40

Offline Tiarella

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 81
  • Default personal text
    • Farm Blog
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2013, 02:25:59 PM »
needle point mats don't work as well because they are not in a "woven" design so the moisture tends to collect in the little squares if it's on a solid surface.  Some folks use them but I prefer the rigid medium mat available at artisangeek.com