Author Topic: Can someone clarify which is correct please :)  (Read 1313 times)

Val

Can someone clarify which is correct please :)
« on: October 22, 2013, 07:03:57 PM »
Which is correct?      :-\   black is different and red is same. ???

Thanks in advance  ^-^

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9817.msg72039.html#msg72039

The science is not so hard: If the distance on the lever between hinge and the vertical "stamp" is e.g 2 inch and from the stamp to the point where the weight is attached is 10 inch, every pound will give a pressure on the stamp of 10/2 = 5 pounds. If you use a pulley like on the picture, you multiply that with the amount of strings, so 5x2 =10 pound. If you use a double pulley and three strings, it's 15 pounds.

http://cheeseforum.org/forum/index.php/topic,9149.msg64830.html#msg64830

The distance from the point where you hang the weight to the fulcrum is 32 inches ( the fulcrum is not where the pusher is, it is on the far end).
The distance from the fulcrum to the plunger is 10 inches.
So the MA is 32/10 = 3.2.
If you hang 16.3 lbs of weight on the arm you get 3.2 x 16.3 =52.16 lbs pushing on the follower.
To get 75 lbs of weight on the follower you need 3.2 x  23.4 = 75.

When you are pushing on 4 molds the pusher needs to be exactly in the middle of the board that is on the top of the 4 molds or the weight won't be spread evenly to each mold. Think of what would happen if you had a long 4 inch by 12 inch rectangular mold and you pressed on one end of it.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
Re: Can someone clarify which is correct please :)
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 07:56:03 PM »
I didn't go back through this thread (thanks Boofer) but there is a whole lot of info about building and setting up a press, check it out if you haven't already
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Val

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 10:27:00 PM »
Yes I read that thread..... gave me a headache  :o

I just need to know if the measurement is from where the hinge is to the weight ...... or is it from where the rod that pushes on the cheese to the weight.  The other measurement was the same and came from the rod pushing on the cheese to where the hinge was. 

I think I understand that if I add pulleys they would have to be anchored where the weight is and directly below and not back further as there would tend to be drag on them losing pull of think they said 10%.  At this point I am only looking to do 1- 2 lb cheeses so I really need the first part of the equation to be right before I go adding pulleys.

Hope you understand what I am asking.

Val

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 03:09:07 PM »
The second is correct. You divide the distance from weight to fulcrum by the distance from presser to fulcrum, and that is your mechanical advantage. I build my presses for a MA of five to make calculations easier.