Author Topic: Cheddar temperature issue  (Read 1259 times)

Ananke

Cheddar temperature issue
« on: October 23, 2013, 07:20:28 PM »
Hi all, I'm in the middle of making my first cheddar (using MA16 mesophilic DVI culture)and currently cooking the curds.  The recipe calls for the curds to be cooked at 39c for 45 mins.  I'm really struggling with this electric hob and it has risen as high as 45c will this be a problem?

Thanks for reading

Spoons

Re: Cheddar temperature issue
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2013, 07:56:53 PM »
Hi Ananke,

it's still going to become a cheese, so don't give up. But temp control is VERY important for taste and texture. It will have an impact (not sure what kind of impact... I'm no pro), but do finish you recipe and take it as a learning experience. Stuff like this happened to every single one of us here. So do finish it and let us know what the outcome was.

Ananke

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2013, 08:05:21 PM »
I will definately finish it, just disappointed.

I suppose it's a step in the right direction though, this is my second make, I accidentally skipped a whole paragraph in my first make and didn't cook the curds at all so it turned out a big wheel of cheese crumble lol.  BUT...a very very tasty cheese crumble, a wee bit like dry feta but tastier :D

dthelmers

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2013, 08:49:16 PM »
Soldier on and hope for the best. Enough of your bacteria may have survived to make it all right. Temperature control is problematic, and more so for smaller batches. I make four gallon batches and they are easier to keep a steady temperature than the two gallon batches that I used to make.
There are a couple of other ways to heat the curd. The first is to work with your pot in a sink or large basin full of hot water, and add hot or cold water as needed, so you just keep a kettle on the hob and add some boiling water to raise the temperature.
Another technique is to scoop out some of the whey and heat it, adding it back to the curd in small amounts to raise the temperature gradually. The woman who got me started in cheese making does it this way, and she does not use a thermometer. She stirs the curd with her hand, starting at "blood warm" and slowly raising it to "fever warm".

Ananke

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 09:22:32 PM »
Thanks to you both for your encouragement, I appreciate it.

I really like the sound of blood warm and fever warm.  Although I'm new to making hard cheeses, I've been making small batches of soft cheese and yoghurt for a wee while now and that is how I judge the temperature for them so I think i'll try that next time.

I used 16ltrs/4 gallons for this cheddar as my mould is quite large and anything smaller would come out like a pancake so I really was worried I'd wasted it all.  It's in the press now and I'll keep my fingers crossed and post a wee pic when it's done :D

Spoons

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2013, 02:07:52 AM »
Another technique is to scoop out some of the whey and heat it, adding it back to the curd in small amounts to raise the temperature gradually. The woman who got me started in cheese making does it this way, and she does not use a thermometer. She stirs the curd with her hand, starting at "blood warm" and slowly raising it to "fever warm".

WOW! That's old world stuff right there! Love it! I rely too much on tech to go at it this way, but I admire her technique!