Author Topic: Brown Dust has me stumped  (Read 4763 times)

Alpkäserei

Re: Brown Dust has me stumped
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2013, 06:09:17 PM »

here is an updated picture after a few rounds of washing. For these last few washes, I just used straight wine (but the particular wine, that's the secret. Let's say, you can't buy this in the store)

These cheeses are excellent ones to gauge mite activity. Mites blend in well with most cheeses due to similarity in color, but the light colored mites stick out like a sore thumb on the surface of these deep purple cheeses. Unfortunately, I can't get a picture with enough detail to show them. (let's just say, some times ignorance is bliss  :o )

The cellar here at home is where all of my experiments end up -this is where I try out new ideas and different methods. Hence why this black beauty is here.

kevindv10

« Reply #16 on: December 13, 2013, 05:20:12 AM »
I hate to do this because it's completely off topic and threatens to hijack the thread, but what kind of wood are you aging on? I'm planning on going this way but there are as many opinions on the right wood as there are users of the internet!

PS - I like your attitude toward experimentation! That black beauty is a thing of wonder!!  ;D

JimSteel

« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2013, 08:36:15 PM »
Wow, I just came across this thread.  Very cool.  Alp, have you considered making a mite-rinded cheese like they do with mimolette to see what the results are?  You said the "brown powder" wasn't making a difference, but what if they were left to it for.... a long time?

Besides, you could think of yourself as the "Mite God" as you grow and care for a colony of thousands.