Author Topic: Newbie here  (Read 2513 times)

summersstudio

Newbie here
« on: March 07, 2009, 02:07:33 AM »
Hi there,

I'm new on this forum. I'm living in West Texas and those dogs are Bob and Alice, my faithful studio assistants. I'm a fulltime potter who is turning her hand to making cheese because I'm tired of the dead cheese stuff wrapped in plastic in the super market. I miss my local cheese shop in Melbourne, Australia where I bought artisanal cheeses weekly. So the only thing to do is turn my hand to making my own. I've got a ricotta salata in the fridge salting (made from the whey of really excellant cheese curds, a ricotta draining made from the whey of a farmhouse style cheddar I started today from a recipe here on the forum. First pressing of the cheddar looks good! Oh and the ricotta is wonderful, just like I remember from home.

Oh and as far as I can see, cheese making is not that different from ceramics, lots of patience, trial and error, learning from experience (minus the sanitation). But my partner is a brewer, so we've got the sanitation down pat.

Got to hand to all of you, this forum and the sharing of info is truly superb! Thanks everyone for just a wonderful website and forum.

Cheers, LeAnn

Cheese Head

Re: Newbie here
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2009, 10:55:00 AM »
Howdy summersstudio (LeAnn), welcome to the forum, and congrats on the initial cheeses!

I'm nearby, in Katy on west side of Houston, so we are probably only about ~500 miles/1000 km apart ;D.

Not many Aussies in Texas, especially West Texas, but there are a few on this forum!

Wannie

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2009, 01:19:24 PM »
Hello LeAnn and welcome to the forum.

I too am new here and just getting started in the science and art of cheesemaking.  I also havent progressed to any hard cheeses yet but hope too in the near future.

You should not have any trouble at all getting good info as it is abundant on this site.

Ronnie from Tennessee...

summersstudio

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2009, 02:25:08 PM »
John, 500 miles is like next door here in TX ;) I should clarify, I'm an Australian American, grew up in the upper midwest and spent 20 or so years in Australia, moved back to the US a couple of years ago.

Ronnie, the hard cheese experience has been good so far. Actually better than my experience with most soft fresh cheeses.

Thanks for the welcome!

Captain Caprine

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2009, 04:30:34 PM »
Welcome LeAnn
I love the pic of your hard working assistants Bob and Alice.
CC

chilipepper

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2009, 04:39:11 PM »
Welcome to the forum LeAnn. I'm glad you rolled up you sleeves and dove into Cheesemaking. I'm sure you'll find it to be quit fascinating. Keep us posted on your progress!

Ryan

Offline Cartierusm

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 21
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2009, 08:15:20 PM »
Welcome, cute dogs.

Tea

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2009, 09:07:00 PM »
Hi LeAnn and welcome to the forums.  What hard cheeses have you had success with?