Author Topic: Easy whey based bread maker pizza dough  (Read 5446 times)

AJ Peacock

Easy whey based bread maker pizza dough
« on: October 26, 2013, 02:59:37 AM »
We turn at least 1 gallon of milk into Yogurt every week, which leaves a couple quarts of whey that we hate to waste.

After much experimenting, I landed on a recipe that we use in our bread maker for pizza dough that gets high reviews from everyone that's tasted it.

During my experimenting (probably a dozen attempts), I finally discovered that you just can't scoop a cup of flour and have it turn out right in a bread maker.
Accurate measurement is a must for a recipe to work in a bread maker.

To measure the flour, I use a one cup measuring cup and simply scoop flour into it with a tablespoon, then scrape the top level and that's one cup.
Using the Tablespoon like that really keeps the recipe (amount of flour) consistent for me.

The recipe:
5 cups flour (measured as listed above)
1 1/2 cups whey (heated to warm 100F  in Microwave)
1 1/2 Tablespoon veg oil
1 Tablespoon Yeast
1/3 Tablespoon salt.
4 Tablespoons water

The order of ingredients is important.

1) Whey
2) Oil
3) Flour

Then make a good size depression in each side of the flour.  Put the yeast in one depression and the salt in the other.
Then put 4 Tablespoons water on the yeast, so it gets activated the same every time.  (this is a key for consistency with my maker).

Run your bread maker on the dough setting.

We separate into 3 equal parts and wrap well with Saran wrap, flatten and place separately in freezer (important step).

When you want to use, take them out the night before and defrost in refrigerator.
Then let warm to room temperature (1 hour).
Stretch to whatever shape/size you want.

Cook at 465 on a stone in the oven (place stone near center of oven).

We normally top with sauce, pepperone, a little provolone, mushrooms and Mozz.

Cook for 11 minutes and enjoy.

This works great in our machine, haven't tried it in other machines.

Hope someone finds this useful,
AJ

Pete S

Re: Easy whey based bread maker pizza dough
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2013, 04:08:56 AM »
  sounds good I will give it a try.  Pete

AJ Peacock

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2013, 10:08:10 PM »
Couple other things I should have added.

1) We always preheat the stone for at least 45 minutes.
2) I use parchment paper under the pizza dough and use a peel to put the pizza in/out.

I like a little hotter oven, but the parchment paper doesn't.

AJ

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2013, 11:34:30 PM »
A one gallon make yields 2 quarts of whey? Visit the yogurt forum and throw away less each week.  :D

AJ Peacock

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2013, 08:34:23 PM »
We make a VERY thick yogurt (pretty much like the drained Greek yogurt).

Thanks though, I'll take a peek.
AJ

crazyhappenings

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2016, 04:37:47 PM »
AJ, I have made your recipe 4 or 5 times already and I have a batch in the machine right now. I found it by googling for "whey pizza dough bread machine". Gotta love the interwebs. Anyway, thank you for sharing, you saved me the experimentation and I LOVE that the recipe is for 3 batches of dough - it saves so much time. I've started making ALL my bread with whey using your tip to heat it to 100 degrees. My bread seems to be crunchier when made with whey!

My whey is from mozzarella. I also like your tip about freezing the dough FLAT. I made a printable version referenced below if anyone wants to use it. I save all my recipes this way! This thread is included so people can find the source. Thanks again.

Regards, Alison in Massachusetts

Printable version of AJ's recipe including all tips and tricks mentioned in this thread.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Ff4V1aX3ky_ChFpwv9lvTMybipgfbL769WEdCBuRPIw/edit?usp=sharing