Author Topic: Oberlander-Rot  (Read 4536 times)

mjr522

Re: Oberlander-Rot
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2013, 03:57:24 AM »
Any recommendations on where/how we could get some "really sharp" stuff to see what you're talking about?  I used to think that I'd tried a lot of different cheeses, but the more time I spend here the more I realize I've had limited experience...

Alpkäserei

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2013, 04:24:31 PM »
Ya, I'll sell it to ya  ;D

I'd say, first check with some of the guys on this board that have shops or connections. I know of nothing in my area, I have to rely on my foreign contacts to get the cheese I like, that's a big part of why I decided to go into business in the first place, that and I feel the foodstuffs market is a good place to be in the event of a failing economy.

Berner Alpkäse is not exported in very large quantities, something on the order of 5% of production makes it out of Switzerland, and almost all of that goes to Germany and Holland. Swiss imports tend to be their lower aged cheeses -90 day old Emmentaler, Gruyere, Appenzeller, small qtyy of Tomme etc.. All cheeses that should be aged much longer and taste much different when properly aged. But they know what foreign markets will support.

As for rip[ening when open, no do not hold it at room temp, it tends to turn a bit sour. I cut it open in the cave and leave it there. When stored at room temperature, this cheese has a tendency to develop a sour tang.

Tomer1

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 11:03:22 PM »
Ive seen some very old comte and gruyer reserve (18 to 24 months old cheeeses) in more then one cheese monger's shop.

High Altitude

« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 04:42:53 PM »
Your descriptions were a sensory experience, Alp!  Gorgeous cheese, and love the rind too. 

Adding another cheese to the many you have gotten, and deserve, for this meticulous make  ;D.  Very nicely done.