Author Topic: My best Caerphilly so far  (Read 3876 times)

bobbymac29649

My best Caerphilly so far
« on: October 29, 2013, 05:05:18 PM »
Since starting this cheese making journey I'd made a couple of Caerphillies.  They were ok, nothing to write home about.  When I'd have people try it they'd be polite and said it was good  ;D.  No one ever asked for a second piece.
Thanks to Kathrin (Tiarella) I didn't give up.  She's always telling newbies to try Caerphilly.  I let this one age for two months instead of one (only because I've been gone for the past six weeks).  Oh my goodness....I was a little gun shy about serving it to anyone.  But my parents and old friends of theirs came over for dinner.  My father knows his cheese and he'd be the first one to say "what in the hell is this crap" if it was nasty but he took a bite and then another and then another.  They didn't stop talking about it all night long. 
The one friend said "I didn't know regular people could make cheese, I thought it was made in factories".   It was a good night !  Thanks Tiarella!

Denise

Re: My best Caerphilly so far
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2013, 05:22:05 PM »
A yummy-looking cheese. Well done. Isn't it great when people take a bite and then another and another! That's the second-best thing about home cheesemaking.  :D

Spoons

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2013, 06:22:59 PM »
A cheese for you for sticking around and keep trying! Don't know why this is the "problem" section of the forum though  :P

It's a thread like this one that makes me want to continue making cheese. I've had a dry spell of sorts lately and want to pick up the hobby, but the lack of compliments in the past have made me a bit shy about my cheese making hobby. Glad to see you kept trying and finally got some compliments!

Offline scasnerkay

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 197
  • Default personal text
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 12:11:11 AM »
A cheese for you! It looks fabulous, and even the wax job is pretty!
Susan

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 08:29:40 PM »
Since starting this cheese making journey I'd made a couple of Caerphillies.  They were ok, nothing to write home about.  When I'd have people try it they'd be polite and said it was good  ;D.  No one ever asked for a second piece.
Thanks to Kathrin (Tiarella) I didn't give up.  She's always telling newbies to try Caerphilly.  I let this one age for two months instead of one (only because I've been gone for the past six weeks).  Oh my goodness....I was a little gun shy about serving it to anyone.  But my parents and old friends of theirs came over for dinner.  My father knows his cheese and he'd be the first one to say "what in the hell is this crap" if it was nasty but he took a bite and then another and then another.  They didn't stop talking about it all night long. 
The one friend said "I didn't know regular people could make cheese, I thought it was made in factories".   It was a good night !  Thanks Tiarella!
Good job, Bobbymac. Nice write-up too.

A beautiful cheese and I like that sexy wax job...a cheese to you for your success.

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

High Altitude

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
Ya, nice wax job Bobby!  And the cheese looks very tempting - and professional! 

I am always shy to serve my cheeses to guests, but alas we must! It's always an adventure to open them, especially those waxed ones. 

A cheese to your perseverance, and success  ;D.  Well done lad.

Lynda Garneau

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2013, 12:44:56 PM »
What recipe did you use? Do you share?

jwalker

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:44:43 PM »
Very nice cheese Bob !

A cheese to you !

Is that wax or PVA coating ? , either way , it's a very professional looking job.

Good work !

Digitalsmgital

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 09:27:19 PM »
Whoa! But then you ain't like regular people!  ;)

Excellent job, great story and photo!

bobbymac29649

« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2013, 09:34:52 PM »
What recipe did you use? Do you share?
Mastering Artisan Cheesemaking pg. 266 "Stirred Curd Cheese"
The only thing different I did was add 1/8 tsp of Lipase and I used the C101 Mesophilic direct set starter from New England Cheese Supply (1/4 tsp)
I brined it for 24 hours instead of milling and salting.

bobbymac29649

« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2013, 09:39:09 PM »
Very nice cheese Bob !

A cheese to you !

Is that wax or PVA coating ? , either way , it's a very professional looking job.

Good work !
Thanks for the kind words.  It's wax I got from Artisan Geek.  It was my first wax job.  I went and bought one of those triple crock pots at Walmart for $29.  Put the different colored waxes in each pot.  Dipped one side, turned it over, dipped and then repeated.  Worked like a charm.

bobbymac29649

« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2013, 09:40:02 PM »
Whoa! But then you ain't like regular people!  ;)

Excellent job, great story and photo!
Hahahaha, had to laugh.  I've been told this my whole life !!