Author Topic: Buttermilk Blue, too  (Read 2035 times)

DrChile

Buttermilk Blue, too
« on: October 22, 2013, 02:46:06 AM »
Inspired by Mary Karlin (and Boofer's success) (and my love of blue cheese) - made a Buttermilk blue...
Notes:
made 10/4/13

Milk: 1 gallon Hartzler whole creamline milk (Wooster, Ohio) + 3 cups Snowville heavy cream (not UP cream - quite nice but pricey) + 2 cups buttermilk
2 oz flora Danica - added when milk hit 88 F
Ca Chloride - added after culture
Pen Roq PV - 1/8 tsp - added to milk after culture in 1/4 cup distilled water
Rennet - 3/16 tsp in 1/4 cup distilled H20 added at 90F
Floc time - 8 min
Multiplier 6

Followed Mary's directions and the first photo below (apologies for the poor white balance) shows two of them out of their mold, about 5 days old.
Pierced after a week or so, and those piercings - yummy.
So I couldn't wait 4 weeks and cut the smaller one open this week (2 weeks old) -second pic.

WOW!  fantastic.  Tangy, creamy.  My wife (who is NOT a fan of blue cheese even liked it, though she refused to eat the rind).

This is good... I really like this...  Gonna take a hint from boofer as I suspect my cheese is also tightly knit and pierce in different areas on the larger cheese and we'll see how it goes.

I'll definitely be making this again.

Offline Boofer

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 344
  • Contemplating cheese
Re: Buttermilk Blue, too
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2013, 01:34:02 PM »
Yum! :P

Wow, that might be a record for early opening of a blue cheese...2 weeks!!

I know this may sound like blasphemy to H-K-J and Sailor, but I'm finding that I lean towards 4-6 weeks tops for blue cheese aging, rather than the 90 days that they advocate. In the case of bite, less is more. Woof! :)

Congrats...have a cheese!

-Boofer-
Let's ferment something!
Bread, beer, wine, cheese...it's all good.

Offline H-K-J

• Old Cheese
  • Cheeses: 145
  • Act as if it were impossible to fail.
    • Cookin with uh dash dogs hair
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2013, 02:55:00 PM »
That cheese looks really nice ^-^
now that you have cut one open early the ageing of the second will give you a better idea of how long you want to age your blues for your taste :o
I have found 8 to 9 weeks is where we like them so to each their own
cheese on my friend, cheese on, a cheese for you ;D
Never hit a man with glasses, use a baseball bat!
http://cocker-spanial-hair-in-my-food.blogspot.com/

Pete S

« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2013, 02:58:17 PM »
Yum! :P

Wow, that might be a record for early opening of a blue cheese...2 weeks!!

I know this may sound like blasphemy to H-K-J and Sailor, but I'm finding that I lean towards 4-6 weeks tops for blue cheese aging, rather than the 90 days that they advocate. In the case of bite, less is more. Woof! :)

-Boofer-

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also start eating my blues early. Usually as soon as they have a good showing of mold.
I have found that they continue to age. I don't get pretty cheeses but I make cheese to eat not to look at. 
                                                                                                                               Pete

DrChile

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2013, 10:22:55 PM »
thanks all!

I"ll update in another 1-2 weeks and see how the larger cheese is doing...

Trent

DrChile

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2013, 05:45:37 AM »
So we're nearly at 4 weeks since the initial make...
And here's what we have - a very tangy, yet creamy cheese with a few interior streaks of blue.  Definitely has a blue flavor throughout.  The rind, though, looks like is has developed some B linens and that really has pushed the penicillum out.  I mean, the rind tastes great, but wasn't quite as BLUE when compared to others I have seen here (Boofer). 
Thoughts, comments?  Anyone handing out cheese for Halloween?  ;D

Trent

DrChile

« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2013, 11:22:03 PM »
Update:
Cheese is in fridge wrapped in foil.
Weekly tastings continue to be delicious.  More tang and more bite but still creamy.
A bit of fig jam and this cheese = heaven.

There wont be any around at 8 weeks.  Will have to make another...

Trent